Join now - be part of our community!

Fashion Unplugged: An interview with Diana Auria

jaylward
7,406  Views

Author: Sony Europe

sony h.ear on red headphones with beach bag_resized.jpg

Our new h.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling headphones let you enjoy the same great sound quality with all the convenience and freedom of a wireless connection – which also means there are lots of headphones wires that are no longer needed.

But what if all of those wires could be put to good use again? With the benefits of tangle-free travel in mind, we asked Diana Auria, founder of the leading sustainable swimwear label AURIA, to create the Sony x AURIA ‘Fashion Unplugged’ capsule collection, which consists of five travel accessories made from the surplus materials. The collection uses over 113 metres of wire, and has been inspired by the five vibrant colours of our h.ear range.

Sony_H.Ear_Diana_762_resized.jpg

“With AURIA being a sustainable brand, it felt really natural to create a range of accessories from discarded materials,” said Diana, shortly after the Sony x AURIA ‘Fashion Unplugged’ photoshoot. “I wanted to make functional items that would complement my swimwear and wow people. Accessories have always been something I’ve been interested in, so it was really exciting to play around with different designs.”

AURIA are no strangers to using unconventional materials such as recycled fishing nets for their designs, but this was the first time that Diana had ever used headphone wires. “The h.ear range comes in such vibrant colours, so that really inspired me to create this fun collection of summer must-haves. When it came to the design process, I was pleasantly surprised that the wires were flat, as it made them great to work with. It meant that they could be adapted using different techniques, allowing for lots of different styles.”

The five ‘Fashion Unplugged’ accessories

Cinnabar Red beach bag – “A statement beach bag is definitely a must for any holiday. I used recycled red PVC to ensure the body of the bag was waterproof and the headphone wires really lent themselves to being a sturdy handle. The headphone jacks added a little extra detail too. This is definitely my favourite piece.”

sony h.ear on red headphones with beach bag_resized.jpg

Bordeaux Pink sunglasses case – “To me, sunglasses are the perfect summer accessory! With so many amazing shapes, colours and design, it seems like such a shame to keep them in a boring standard case, so I wanted to create something stylish and eye-catching.”

sony h.ear on pink headphones with sunglasses case_resized.jpg

Charcoal Black beach sliders – “Sliders are really popular right now. Being waterproof, the headphone wires were the perfect way to jazz up a pair of plain sliders.”

sony h.ear on black headphones with beach sliders_resized.jpg

Lime Yellow passport case – “It may not be the most glamorous item you carry on your holiday, but your passport is the ultimate must-have for any trip. Let’s just say, you definitely won’t misplace your passport in this colour! If you look carefully, there’s a plane cut-out on the back of the case.”

sony h.ear on yellow headphones with passport holder_resized.jpg

Viridian Blue phone case – “Your summer selfie essential!”

sony h.ear on blue headphones with phone case_resized.jpg

With these five unique and stylish accessories, Diana has proved once again that sustainable fashion is without a doubt the way forward. “Just because something isn’t being used doesn’t mean it has to be wasted,” she said. “The ‘Fashion Unplugged’ collection showcases five different items all made from one material, and they all look different and amazing in their own right!”

blogid0118