Meet our videographer

profile.country.GB.title
scully99
2,778  Views

Did you know that Sony Europe has its own in-house film-maker? Meet Torrin Holland, who creates videos and graphics for Sony’s websites, online community and social media. 

Torrin HollandTorrin Holland

Hi Torrin. Thanks for taking the time to explain what you do! First off, how did you become a videographer? 

I loved the idea of creating stories visually – showing emotion through moving images – so I studied TV & Video Production at university. Then I freelanced for 18 months for companies like the BBC and Holiday & Cruise TV. How did I join Sony? The truth is I’m a huge tech geek, so it really appealed!

What are the best things about your job? 

I get to play with the latest gadgets! I also film award ceremonies and trade shows and I’ve travelled in Europe and Japan. Every day is slightly different! It sounds a cliché but I also like working with the people I work with – different personalities bouncing off each other.

What are your special skills as a film-maker?

One of my talents is being able to see a video in my head, how I’d like it to be shot and how I’ll put it together in the edit. I absorb information quickly and I enjoy watching the types of videos I create, so I know the audience and what will work.

I love editing really dramatic pieces! I start with a crazy, outlandish idea and work backwards, trying to make things happen even if they don’t seem easily achievable. 

One of the reasons I’m good at what I do is that I have Asperger’s syndrome. Every person with AS is different, but in the past I found it challenging. Asperger’s inhibits social growth so I found it difficult to talk to people – but there are also many benefits! I’m passionate about my work and I believe in my projects; it gives me the extra edge to make them better because I make the extra effort. 

At Sony, I’m surrounded by things I’m really passionate about. I like to talk to people, discuss ideas and build relationships for a better creative process. It’s really helped me get over some of the social problems [that come with AS]. At Sony I’m not judged for my Asperger’s; I don’t get treated any differently from anyone else. 

Do you have any tips for film-makers who are starting out?

After university, apply for everything. Make contacts. Look at the world beyond TV and film, because the online world is growing and it’s a good source of projects. Many big companies want to connect with audiences, which can be a really interesting challenge for a film-maker, so don’t rule it out! Don’t have that preconception in your head of a corporate company – they actually do care about the product and the consumer. They want to be creative too.

What are your favourite Sony products? 

I own a lot of Sony products! I think there are actually about 17 in my living room alone! MDR-1000X headphones got me sold on going wireless; you never have to worry about quality. The amazing noise cancellation means it really is just you and the music. I’m a big fan of Sony’s TVs, past and present, and a massive PlayStation fan. If you’d told me a few years ago that I’d be working for Sony one day, I wouldn’t have believed it!

Which of your videos are you most proud of?

Shot on Alpha 7S II with 24-70 mm, 16-34mm wide angle and 90mm macro lenses

We filmed this on a Concorde and I was a bit nervous about whether it would work. Then I started piecing it together and it turned into a really nice edit. Everything fell into place! The CEO of Sony, Kaz Hirai, talks about the concept of ‘kando’ – producing a product so good it creates an emotional response. That’s what this video is about.

I’m also proud of my ‘First Look’ series. They may not look like the most technical videos but how much interaction they get from viewers blows my mind! That’s when I know I’ve made a successful video – when they really generate conversation.

Shot on Sony FS5 using 24-70 mm lens and 16-34mm wide angle lens. 

1 Comment