Join now - be part of our community!

PRS 600 turning on but not connecting to PC

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Helsing1
Explorer

PRS 600 turning on but not connecting to PC

I have a PRS 600 which is now at least 3 years old.  It is turning on although now on low battery.  It is not connecting to PC at all so not able to charge.  Have done soft and hard reset but still nothing happening.  Have also tried a new battery.  Any suggestions?  Have emailed Sony support but they are just telling me to put it into repair which will cost more than it is worth.  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

But, why buy a new one if this charge?

If there aren’t other issues,

just Drag and Drop ebooks on PC into a SD memory card and then insert SD memory card on reader!!!!

PS

SD memory card or Memory Stick Duo up to 16GB.

I think all Sony readers work better with small one (2-4GB)

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
carpetmojo

Tried an overnight wall/mains  charge yet ?

And was the new battery charged fully ? (Where did you get the battery by the way !!?? )

And have you tried a new/different USB type-lead ?

carpetmojo

PS Have you recently got hold of the 600? And ws it working OK previous ? Has it, in other words, deteriorated ?

jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi “Helsing1”

Till now, I purchased just only PRS-T1 and T2 and so, I don’t have any “experience” with a PRS-600. But:

-Is there a Memory Card inserted? If yes, unplug it ( PRS-600 Manual p.36)

-Have you try to charge the reader, on more PC, USB plugs and using different USB cables?

-Have you try to charge the reader via AC-Adapter?

-In  PRS-600 Manual  p.14 writes: “…At purchase, the Reader is in the shutdown state, therefore, it takes 5 minutes or more until appears ( the plug icon). The same applies when the Reader’s battery is fully depleted…”

-Have you read “Troubleshooting” on  PRS-600 Manual p.150-165

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
Helsing1
Explorer

I haven't tried a mains charger - was trying to avoid buying one as I don't have one that fits. Battery ordered on Amazon. It isn't a problem with the USB lead. Perhaps I should buy a charger. Had the reader ages - probably one of the first PRS 600 released so yes it has deteriorated. Maybe it has just reached the end of its natural life!
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi "helsing1"

“Maybe it has just reached the end of its natural life!”

Maybe, but I don’t think so.

Anyway, my opinion is that you must not buy a charger. If you know somebody, that purchased a charger for PRS-600,650,T1,T2, just borrow charger and test.

Maybe, reader’s USB plug is faulty (broken inside, rusty contacts, unsolder etc)

The problem is: too expensive to repair. Better buy a new or used one (PRS-T1,T2,…)

Helsing1
Explorer

Thanks for the help.  Looks like I'm going to have to buy another reader - has charged with a wall charger but still not connecting to PC.

jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

But, why buy a new one if this charge?

If there aren’t other issues,

just Drag and Drop ebooks on PC into a SD memory card and then insert SD memory card on reader!!!!

PS

SD memory card or Memory Stick Duo up to 16GB.

I think all Sony readers work better with small one (2-4GB)