Join now - be part of our community!

PRS505 will no longer connect to my Win10 PC

nipritc55
New

PRS505 will no longer connect to my Win10 PC

I have had a PRS505 working on my PC for some time. But due possibly to a recent incorrect action manually deleting a duplicated download (using the DEL button) the reader no longer is recognised by the PC.

When I plug the reader into the PC, WinExplorer continually polls at about every second or two and says that two drives are not accessible (O: & I:) (these would be the two memory slots on the reader).

I have uninstalled the drivers and also removed the various Sony & Adobe software but nothing fixes the problem.

I have plugged the reader into two other virgin PCs (they've never seen the reader before) and both of them are perfectly happy with automatically loading the PRS505 drivers and I can read the drive contents; so clearly the issue is a corruption with my primary PC.

I have done a full reset of the reader (and lost the authorisation in the process). The reader still works but will not open any purchased books, only the free ones.

Maybe the drivers need to be cleaned from the driver store on the PC, not just un-installed ?????

Any other ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hello and welcome. 

If you are unable to open and read your purchased books then this normally indicates that your e-reader is not registered/authorised. 

Was the file deleted from your PC? A possible solution might be using system restore to return your PC to a point before you made any changes.

nipritc55
New

I fully understand the non-authorisation and that's clearly due to the full reset I did.

The original problem happened some weeks ago so it's not practical to find a restore point. I can't recall the specifics of the error messages received at that time unfortunately.

The biggest issue I'm sure is to remove ALL traces of the reader drivers because simply un-installing them does NOT remove them from the computer.... they still reside in the driver store and simply bounce back as soon as the reader is plugged in; I need a clean removal and re-install of the drivers somehow.

Does anyone know the driver file names so I can search in Regedit etc. Simply doing a search in Win Explorer did not find anything that included "PRS505" or "Sony". Device Manager clearly refers to Sony PRS505CE etc etc but no indication of the driver filename.

Clearly I can set it all up on another computer but that is far from convenient and means I'll never be able to use the reader in my primary PC again.

Alvin44
New

Please advise me if my e-reader will still download books And if so from where? Thank you