Join now - be part of our community!

Reader for PC syncs but doesn't download to Reader

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jadams
Visitor

Reader for PC syncs but doesn't download to Reader

Am novice user having problems trying to download the sony free ebooks.  Managed to download 33 yesterday, no problem.  today, going through same process I get a message at top of screen saying 56 items synced, but they do not appear in my Books on the Reader (PRS T1).  Can't work out what the problem is.  Any one else had similar problems and found an answer??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jadams,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

as you may have alrady read the file types of the previous free 100 books are not supported by the T1..

If you want to add these books to your new reader then you'll need to download the books again, see the guide below for instructions on how to download & install the books onto your T1..:smileyhappy:

First you need to Log-in to your My Sony account, using the details that you used to register your Reader. Click the following link - My Sony Log-In..

Once logged in click on the blue Product Details & Extras button next to your reader model..

In your Reader models product page click on My Offers..

Under the information about the 100 free books you should see 5 Click Here For..... links..

Click each the first collection of books you want to download

Then Save the file to your computer (for example, to your My Documents folder)

Once the download has completed locate the Zip file  you saved on your computer

Right-click on the file and choose extract

Open Reader for PC or your eBook Library..

If you want to import individual books then go to the File menu and choose the Import Files option

Find the files that you have just extracted, select them and click Open

If you want to import the whole collection then go to the File menu and choose the Import Folder option..

Find the Folder that contains the selection you want to import select it and click Select Folder..

Finally connect your Reader to your PC to add the books to your reader..

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
warriorfullight
Visitor

I have this type of problem with free ebooks, but with paid once, everything seems normal. I am not sure if the reader is saving it to a different folder which I can't find. I don't really know what exactly is the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

One thing to check is the file type of the free books. Are they all .epub.

When these books were initially offered by Sony they were in a different format. Sony used .lrf for it's books until they moved to .epub.

I beleive the T1 does cannot access the .lrf books. So if any are still in that format that may be your problem.

I seem to remember that they didn't change all the free books to epub.

Anway, worth a check

carpetmojo

If you want free books such as those offered by Sony, go to Project Gutenberg (Google it, you'll see where to go).

The aim of this marvellous enterprise is to make available all public domain works ... ever ! To this end, they squirrel away at formating anything they can get their hands on........

All the books are free for download, and you can pick what you want - unlike the "gift" ones, which are fairly hotch potch selections of around 3 or 4 pretty loose genre classifications.

I got an awful lot of Oscar Wilde and Jane Austen I remember with my 650 a few years ago, which didn't thrill me a vast amount, frankly.

So, go to Gutenberg and have a root around, they'll all be there - if they are in the public domain, which is all the freebies are.

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I will second that and add that you use Calibre to manage your ebooks. Its vastly superior to the Sony offering

profile.country.en_IE.title
brkenir
Visitor

Just out of interest where can you access the free sony books to download. Have been looking for them for a while. Thanks.

carpetmojo

Presumably Sony Reader - keep looking for "free books offer" I suppose.

Sorry to be vague, but I never did get all mine 2/3 years ago when I got my first x50 - I discovered Project Gutenberg, then MobileRead Library, where you will find 99% (at least) of the books liable to be in the offer.

They're all Pub Dom books out of copyright - unless it's changed since the Sony Store opened - which I doubt !

So I would simply go and root around these two sources at least, and choose from....well, certainly thousands, if not 100s of 1,000s  :slight_smile:  See post above ................

carpetmojo

OK, I've had a rummage ! :cool:

Go to "Products [top tool bar], then .....................Reader ebook / More about Reader [bottom R.] / Introduce me to Reader / Find out more ..[bottom R ] /.............

AND,  there you will find a detailed post about thesefree books - and a long list of all the Pub Dom books Sony offers in this "offer".

Good luck  :smileygrin:

profile.country.es_ES.title
eleafar

Use Calibre to transfer books from PC to e-reader

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

brkenir wrote:

Just out of interest where can you access the free sony books to download. Have been looking for them for a while. Thanks.

Hi brkenir,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

First you need to Log-in to your My Sony account, using the details that you used to register your Reader. Click the following link - My Sony Log-In..

Once logged in click on the blue Product Details & Extras button next to your reader model..

In your Reader models product page click on My Offers..

Under the information about the 100 free books you should see 5 Click Here For..... links..

Click each the first collection of books you want to download

Then Save the file to your computer (for example, to your My Documents folder)

Once the download has completed locate the Zip file  you saved on your computer

Right-click on the file and choose extract

Open Reader for PC or your eBook Library..

If you want to import individual books then go to the File menu and choose the Import Files option

Find the files that you have just extracted, select them and click Open

If you want to import the whole collection then go to the File menu and choose the Import Folder option..

Find the Folder that contains the selection you want to import select it and click Select Folder..

Finally connect your Reader to your PC to add the books to your reader..