Join now - be part of our community!

Reader Library error.

SOLVED
ChisholmP
New

Reader Library error.

Why am  I suddenly getting 'unable to process upate check due to configuration error' every time I open the eLibrary?

I've just bought & downloaded some new books which I can't transfer to my PRS350 because of this error.

Message also says to check firewall setting (as far as I know unchanged since my last download) & try later (which I have many times).

Help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

First of all, I use ReaderforPC and PRS-T1&T2 and so, I have no “experience” with Reader Library and PRS-350. I only try to help, if it’s possible…

-Reader Library updated? (Here’s all info Sony.co.uk support - PRS-350 - EbookLibrary_v3_07130_PC First check if you have latest version (down on link page, how))

-PRS-350 firmware updated? (http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-350/updates)

PS

Sony, seems, that is not “supporting” Reader Library any more, and “recommends” a new software for its reader devices, named ReaderforPC(Mac)

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-350/downloads/SWupdate_Reader_PC_v2100_06250

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-350/downloads/SWupdate_Reader_MAC_v2100_06250

Read first carefully all notes, as:

“…Reader for MAC is an all-new application that provides an easier, friendlier, and improved experience to existing Reader Library customers, and provides all of the same functionality as Reader Library with some new features…

...-This application will not uninstall nor does it require the uninstallation of Reader Library, though it is recommended that the user uninstall that application.

-Upon installation and launch the User will be prompted to “migrate” their existing Reader Library contents and database into the new Reader application...

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi

First of all, I use ReaderforPC and PRS-T1&T2 and so, I have no “experience” with Reader Library and PRS-350. I only try to help, if it’s possible…

-Reader Library updated? (Here’s all info Sony.co.uk support - PRS-350 - EbookLibrary_v3_07130_PC First check if you have latest version (down on link page, how))

-PRS-350 firmware updated? (http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-350/updates)

PS

Sony, seems, that is not “supporting” Reader Library any more, and “recommends” a new software for its reader devices, named ReaderforPC(Mac)

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-350/downloads/SWupdate_Reader_PC_v2100_06250

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PRS-350/downloads/SWupdate_Reader_MAC_v2100_06250

Read first carefully all notes, as:

“…Reader for MAC is an all-new application that provides an easier, friendlier, and improved experience to existing Reader Library customers, and provides all of the same functionality as Reader Library with some new features…

...-This application will not uninstall nor does it require the uninstallation of Reader Library, though it is recommended that the user uninstall that application.

-Upon installation and launch the User will be prompted to “migrate” their existing Reader Library contents and database into the new Reader application...

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)
profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

I haven't heard anything about this - shouldn't there have been some form of communication, email, or even a simple announcement on the Forum?

I shall continue using Calibre, which is just about the simplest, efficient, easiest to use, ***** near foolproof ebook management system going. It's free, works on any Sony reader and has a community forum like this, only people contribute/use it a lot !

The only thing you can't do is use it for wifi, as it works through a PC/laptop/tablet - you simply download the book you purchase online, then add it to the library (I just drag 'n drop) and send it to your device. - although frankly, thats no great hassle.

jan2011
Enthusiast

Hi carpetmojo.

Calibre is one of the best (if not the best) software for this use.

I think, that with Calibre Companion you can also use wifi. Then with Calibre you can modify free ebooks (file type, contents, etc…), synchronize on cloud, and not only…

But…

-Calibre till now, can’t manage Adobe DRM authorization (neither buy and open protected ebooks, nor authorize reader with Adobe ID). The only way, illegal way, is to “hack” or “crack” ebooks protection in order to use them with Calibre.

-Calibre can’t manage Sony Reader Store

-ReaderforPC(Mac), it's better "no comment" about this software, is “into” the reader!!! You don’t have to search and download it and it’s simply to use. Only buy, download, synchronize…

Not all people want, have time and sometimes ability to do more…They just want to buy and read books!

jan2011
Enthusiast

About “Reader Library (formerly eBook Library) Software”

“Sony offers you the latest update program for eBook library. (01/09/2010)

Supported products

PRS-300, PRS-350, PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS-650

Improvements

This utility updates eBook Library software to Reader Library version 3.3, and provides the following benefits:

-Support for PRS-350 / PRS-650” !!!!!!!!

Till now: 

NO PRS-T1, T2, T3 support

I don't  know if supports  UK, Germany, Austria,..., Sony Reader Store (not only US)

NO Windows 8 ...

ChisholmP
New

Thanks. Will try to re-install.

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi ChrisholmP, the original Reader Library software that was supplied with your Reader 350 should still be available to install if still want to use it.

One reason for sticking with the original Reader Library is that the free ebooks that Sony offered a few years ago to reader 350 and 650 owners are not compatible with the newer Reader for PC software.