Join now - be part of our community!

Reader library hangs up during syncing process

profile.country.en_GB.title
shcolli22
Visitor

Reader library hangs up during syncing process

When I connect my reader to my pc and it goes to sync it hangs up and  doesn't complete. So no new books are transferred to my reader. Plus my collections do not sync either and if I remove a book from the reader library it  does not remove it from the reader.

The problem seems to be with the syncing process. It starts syncing then just doesn't progress. I have left it for hours and still nothing. It  used to work fine until I updated the software now no joy with it. I  have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Even a hard reset  on the reader. Still nothing. I can drag and drop files but again I am  stuck with books I have deleted from my library on my reader as well as my collections do not get updated. Any help  here?

I have tried to find an alternative ebook program. Calibre does not seem to do the Collections as far as I can tell.

Sharon

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
shcolli22
Visitor

I am not sure if I have solved the problem myself. After about an hour or so I think I found a solution. It has worked so far. So hoping it continues. For others who may have the problem this is what I ended up doing.

Uninstalled software

Rebooted

Reinstalled software (fresh download from website)

Deleted all books in the reader library as well as collections. For some reason they stay there even when you uninstall

Added all books back to library

Formatted internal memory on the Reader

Connected Reader and it Synced

Redid Collections and it still Synced.

As I said not sure if this has totally solved my problem. Will not know until I go to put on more books.

Sharon

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Sharon,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

Hopefully you've solved your reader problem and thanks for posting the possible solution..

Please, if you remember, could you post an update when you ad more books to your reader..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
SteveF48
New

I had a problem with Reader Library, it wouldn't talk to my PRS-350. That's a major fault in software designed to support Sony Ebook Readers.

I eventually rang Sony customer support and dropped through the telephone menu until I talked to a real person. Are Sony really serious about their ereaders? There is no option to talk to someone about issues with ereaders, you have to just keep selecting the last option until you've discarded all the other choices.

The young lady that I spoke to was very helpful and suggested that a hard reset might cure the problem. Unfortunately I accidentally cut her off before she could explain the process.

I searched this forum and discovered what I had to do.

The hard reset was successful, but a major pain in the neck, because I then had to re-input my ebooks, but the reader had lost my place in all of them.

The result was that by the end of yesterday afternoon I had Reader Library working and communicating with the PRS-350. I was disconcerted that the software took over 15 minutes to synchronise the Sony End User Agreement with the hardware???

This inspired me with confidence, so I accessed the Kent County Library website and tried to borrow an ebook. The site told me that I needed to install Adobe Digital Editions, which I did, but then didn't respond when I tried to browse ebooks. No maatter, I was knackered after all this work, so decided to leave it until this morning.

I successfully downloaded a book, but was surprised to find a 2k acsm file instead of the 10mb epub I expected.

What can you do with acms files? Nothing! Reader Library asks whether it should handle them when it installs, but then goes off with the fairies ( hangs).

I refuse to do another hard reset! I bought the Sony PRS-350 to read books, not to spend all of my time fighting to make it work with Sony's rubbish software.

Come on Sony, supply me with software that matches the quality of your hardware.

Now how can I persuade my library to let me borrow ebooks, without using this useless software?

Message was edited by: SteveF48 The Reader Library stopped working shortly after I posted this message, however I have found a way to read DRM locked ebooks: Download and Install Adobe Digital Editions. When you download a locked ebook, you will receive an acsm file. Double-clicking on it should open Digital Editions, which will then download the full copyright protected book. Copy the resulting epub file to your Sony reader using Calibre, or even Windows Explorer.