Join now - be part of our community!

T3 ...... better late than never ?

profile.country.en_GB.title
carpetmojo

T3 ...... better late than never ?

Thought I'd give my take on the T3 .

Basically, I love it.

To me, it has the a little of the reassuring "heft"of the little 350 - which I consider a really classic piece of engineering.

It fits my hand better than the T2, and has the really nifty "icon" physical control buttons, which work very solidly - so much more practical, and satisfying to my mind, than a touch screen version.

The reading experience is also rewarding, with the trademark Sony "greyscale" print, still the best for all but dark environment. It also has the usual excellent dictionaries and font/size/crop etc... interface - I think it's the best set-up I've experienced, and I've always used the same contrast settings on all my PRS/T generation readers (99 and 95 if you wonder) . The font choice I also find ideal - Frutiger for me, no problem ...

And, as always, the sensible "open-source" approach to formats is a big plus over certain other brands .... I like to use a number of sources, free and otherwise, for my books, instead of being tied to one supplier. And of course, the library feature has always been an excellent Sony feature.

I've gone daring, for the first time, with a white model - which has got many admiring comments, I must say. The "built-in" cover and switch function is a neat little trick too.

Frankly, I don't have any moans, which may be a bit boring, but hey, give me a break, perhaps I'm the ideal user base !

Which, I suppose, brings us to the vexing light/no light question.

Having tried lit screens, I agree with what seems to be the majority opinion, that if you use it for any length of time in a dark environment, which is really the only practical reason for it, surely, it does bring on eye-tiredness/ache/strain, whatever you want to call it. 30-45 minutes is about it for me.

Interestingly , I don't have the same problem with a clip-on/built-in lighted cover i.e. front lighting. I have a lit cover on the 650/350's ,which I like a lot, probably 'cos it feels more like a "real" book, if I'm honest ! But I haven't got around to one for the T's yet - although the T3 might be in line for one .... probably due to my liking for the feel of the "naked" original so far !

In short, I don't mind the lack of a lit screen, and I certainly don't consider it a deal-breaker. I do the vast majority of my reading in daylight/lit areas anyway, and for the odd nighttime/airplane gig, a clip on is more than adequate

I think it's more important that the reader itself is a great piece of kit, simple to use and a good reading experience.

And that's why I've remained a Sony fan .... especially having tried to read a book on a smartphone ! Nuff said. Give me a dedicated reader every time.

Reading is important for me, and I want the nearest equivalent to a p-book I can get, thanks.

So, big tick from me, for the T3 !

That's all folks !:smileywink:

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.it_IT.title
jan2011
Enthusiast

father_jan.png

Hi “carpetmojo”

ok.png 

Cheers

Jannis

Non mi aspetto nulla. Non temo nulla. Sono libero. - I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.   (N.K.)