Join now - be part of our community!

Are Sony going to resolve the VAT Refund Problem?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Steveg2
Visitor

Are Sony going to resolve the VAT Refund Problem?

I bought a very nice Sony Vaio before Xmas, for my son, on the basis that it was a good product but the deciding factor was the VAT refund element.  I wasted no time in filling out the form, it was sent before Xmas, and on Friday I received a letter, I assume to be confirming my refund, but not it was a rejection, which I believe to be on very dodgy ground!   No original purchase/till receipt - I bought it online and I had sent every bit of paperwork which Sony had supplied me with (they supplied it direct, so surely they can check!?) and also the one about non-qualifying product!  Nowhere on your site or your promotions do you specficy that it only a applied to some products, nowhere!

I don't believe for one second that Sony set out for this to be a scam, but that's what it is beginning to look like.  How many of us have bought products and are now being made to jump through loop after loop to reclaim which was surely ours in the first place?

Sony, I don't feel much like filling in many more of your forms - you are treating us all appallingly.  It is for you a possible PR Disaster, so fix it quick.  I expect you to sort it, I shan't be chasing you, but like others will look forward to you being invited onto BBC's Watchdog! 

26 REPLIES 26
edfle66
Visitor

@Blencogo

I disagree that this was 'clearly' advertised. There was a tiny pale gold asterisk against a green background (easily missed imho; I missed it :-{ ) which was a pointer to the reverse of the advert posted in the Sony shops - usually this kind of promotion would specify 'subject to terms and conditions, see over' in a reasonably large font or similar to alert prospective purchasers to the detail of the offer.

I feel that I have been misled and it will be a long time before I consider purchasing from Sony again.

:angry:

pauburr84
Visitor

My daughter had been saving for her first dslr - had money for her birthday and promises of more for Christmas. So with a predicted budget of about £550, we went to our local Jessops before Christmas and were attracted to the case of Sony DSLRs and lenses. The sales assistant calculated that with the advertised VAT refund, she would be able to afford not only a camera but also an additional zoom lens and we could take advantage of the Jessops add on kit with a gadget bag, memory card etc. Too good to be true!

And it was.

After waiting some time for the VAT refund to arrive, I was very disappointed to discover that the cashback was payable on participating models only - clearly the DSLR was not part of the scheme as my cheque was for just £26.66.

I am very angry that the point of sale promotional material in the shop had given a strong message that the contents of the showcase would benefit from this initiative.

I am very angry that the sales assistant had actually calculated our refund incorrectly and we had made the purchase based on this.

I am angry that I now have to pay an additional £60 as my daughter is currently at university, so doesn't have the cash to increase the budget for her camera.

I feel that Sony has misrepresented this promotion and, where I have always been an ardent fan, paying the price for their good quality products, I now feel let down and duped.

Bruce02
Visitor

I have also feel that Sony have been more than happy to allow customer to believe that they will be entitled to receive VAT back when in fact they would not.

No one when purchasing sees a list of exclusions when making their purchase

Products in retail outlets were never indicated as included/excluded from the offer

The terms and conditions on the vat back claim form are VERY hard to read

The Products included list in the terms and conditions are an INCLUSIVE list and not an EXCLUSIVE list.

There is no indication in the small print that products other than shown in the list are EXCLUDED

I purchased in Alpha 390.  The Alpha logo is present in the Inclusive list, however, my application has still been rejected.

So I'm not impressed and I'm hanging on to my paperwork until Watchdog shine another "Yellow Light" type spotlight on SONY!

Message was edited by: Bruce02

pcamichel
Visitor

Surely your frustrations should be aimed at Jessops who mis-sold you the camera.  The member of staff should have been aware what was included.  If Jessops failed to train their staff that is not the fault of Sony. 

Steveg2
Visitor

Just to inform you all that Sony refunded my VAT this week, in full!

Still not that impressed with them though - ok, now I can see the little traps that I fell into, as there is a lot of small print around this.  The claim form has very small writing with a list of qualifying products.  All totally unnecessary Sony, but thanks for putting it right.

p.s.  I did drop a note to the Advertising Standards Authority, who are taking an interest!

legoody
Visitor

I recieved a letter last week saying my product was not in the VAT back promotion.  I bought this 40" TV from the Windsor Sony Centre and was told by the salesman that it was included.  I am taking this up with Sony or
I will pursure through other means.

pauburr84
Visitor

Yes, I have been in touch with Jessops too - they have said they will take it up with their head office and get back to me.

It does highlight how confusing the advertising is, though, if there is lack of clarity amongst the people who  are selling the products. Agree they should train their staff better.

pauburr84
Visitor

Yep, saw the Alpha sign too - didn't realise that out of the whole range it only applied to one camera

Court-Action-Against-Sony
Visitor

Let's just sue them for "Breach of Promise", "False Advertising" and whatever else the "Court Buddies" at The Consumer Action Group can think of, simple!

Just because they are a big company (at the moment) it doesn't mean they can treat their customers like idiots.

Stop whingeing, and take them to court. The publicity, and court costs, may make them think again about ignoring their customers.

It is not a "problem" as you put it, it is ARROGANCE on their part. Stand up and fight, all of us, we all got conned. No more the fool.

I will post back the results of MY County Court Summons addressed to Sony UK.

Regards

Ade

bigal1974
Visitor

No problem here, I brought my Sony Alpha a55 twin lens kit from camerabox and got my vat back a couple of weeks ago. It did take about 6 weeks and I did get a letter about 4 weeks in saying they had alot of processing to do, but it would be delt with asap, and then it was deposited in my account. Thanks Sony !