Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-N5200W & Bad service

BDV-N5200W & Bad service

I purchased the BDV-N5200W 3 days ago and it arrived yesterday. I was so excited as after recently decorating I really did not want the hassle of channeling speaker wire. When I saw that the system was advertised with wireless rear speakers, I simply bought it without any remourse.

When it arrived, I was concerned that the system was somehow packed wrong as the two rear speakers had wires coming from them. There was also a small box that plugged in and connected to said speakers. I thought that I had it wrong so checked Sony UKs website for any mention or pictures of the box and could not find any mention.

To say I was upset was an understatement so I penned an email to Sony customer care. the first reply stated that that was how it was and that there was no mistake on Sony's part then I got another which was to be frank, quite rude. There advice was to simply return the product to where I purchased it.

I felt so let down by Sony UK as the level of customer service was to be frant, terrible. The product has been missrepresented and the information on their website is wrong and to make matters worse, Sony do not seem to care. I have since contacted the company that I purchased the item from and requested a return but as they use Sony's web information, it will now be at my own cost to send it back.

I will never purchase another Sony product and ask anyone reading this to seriously consider whether a high level of customer service is important to them prior to purchasing. If something goes wrong, you need to know you can count on the company to sort out the issue.

I am in the process of listing my vaio, camera and new playstation on EBay as my own little protest.

You have lost a good customer Sony.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a look at the Product Specifications page, as well as the Support page and you are correct.  They both say quite clearly that "Rear Speakers = Wireless".  Also having a look at the pictures of the BDV-N5200W, there is no picture of the additional "Surround Amplifier" for where the rear speakers connect to it via speaker wire.  The Surround Amplifier does connect to the main unit wirelessly though.

There is also no mention of this Surround Amplifier in the product specs and its only once you read the setup manual that you find out what "wireless" means.

Its my opinion that this needs to be made clearer - description and associated pictures.

I have esculated your issue to Sony Support for clarifications and hopefully they will get back to you.

On a side note - When speakers are said to be "wireless", they still need to be connected to some type of power source.  Whether this is in the form of batteries or a main's power lead, or in this case an addtional amplifier.

Cheers

Thank you so much for that, I was actually beginning to doubt myself and think I was the one at fault.

It is too late to help me now, I just have to swallow the inconvenience and the loss of £35 postage. I doubt that Sony UK will do anything apart from changing their listing and information and I shall put it down to experience.

I would appreciate a statement from Sony to this effect though, so as I can present this to the company that I purchased it from, who knows, is it worth it for £35 in the end?

Cheers