Join now - be part of our community!

Buying a new camera - compatible with old lens??

profile.country.GB.title
roycefamily4
New

Buying a new camera - compatible with old lens??

Hoping someone more knowledgable can help.  We purchased a Sony Alpha200 (over 10 years ago).  Its perfect and no need to really change for what we need it for.  However, its pretty heavy.  I've seen new things in the shops but would like to know whether a new model would be

1.Lighter in weight

2. Compatible with our lens which is a SAL18200 (18-200).

Any help or advice? 

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @roycefamily4 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

The old Alphas were great!

I had an A300 :slight_smile:

I used to use Tamron lenses with it (mainly as they were cheaper.)

What is your budget?

Is the camera for any specific purpose or general use?

profile.country.GB.title
roycefamily4
New

Hi jumpsuit - thanks for the welcome.  Tricky to say budget wise.  We spent a fair amount first time round and then bought the 18-200 lens which is absolutely love. We are off to Florida soon and amazing as my alspha camera is it isn't ideal for luggling round theme parks in the heat.

Had a good look last night on prices of the E range cameras and getting an attachement so that I could use the A range lens - but they are definitely out of budget. 

The priority is weight (can it fit into a small bag).  Definitely something that can take good night shots (lots of fireworks etc which my alpha was terrible at doing because I didn't have a tripod with me). Good clear zoom as again sometimes events are a bit away from us but I've been spoilt with the 18-200 lens so guessing this is a long shot.  Generally its for kids and special moments.

Really open to suggestions and experience budget no more than £300, £200 would be ideal. I guess we are looking at a cybershot but will I be desperately disappointed?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @roycefamily4.

I'm sorry I missed your reply 😞

Yes - that budget will limit you a little, although the Cybershots are certainly better now

than they were at the time we got our old Alphas, with more features and megapixels plus they are alot lighter too and perfect for travel.

I think the best option for you is to pop into a local Sony store if you have one (or other stores ) just to physically have a look at what is available. If you can't then check out some reviews first before you buy.

Its a shame because there's an A5000 which is about £150 above your budget, but that is a great camera.

(There's a couple of test shots from one in my profile)