Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play Movies 4K Playback only in 1080p

profile.country.GB.title
EDUBYA71
Explorer

Google Play Movies 4K Playback only in 1080p

I have the Sony AF9 but found that the movies which I have purchased from Google play, which are supposed to be 4K are only streaminng in 1080p. I confirmed this by viewing them through the YouTube app and going to the "Stats for nerds" menu option; this will display what the Current Resolution is vs the Optimal Resolution based on the content you're currently viewing.

When viewing the same content on my 43XF8505 the content correctly plays back in 4K.

When viewing other free YouTube content created in 4K they stream correctly [in 4K] on both televisions.

I have contacted Google about this, providing them with screenshots from both TV's playing the same content and they said they could see that I have these 4K films in my library but could not understand why it's not playing back in 4K; they claim that it is an issue I will need to take up with Sony.

Considering it's the more expensive set with the issuse is not only perplexing but quite an annoyance.

Has any other AF9 owners had this issue, or owners of any other 4K Sony TV's and if so, were you able to resolve the issue yourself or get it resolved?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi EDUBYA71, 

I'm just going to try to find some answers for you. In the meantime, maybe someone else in the community might have some ideas.

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi EDUBYA71,

Could you let us know how you managed to find that they're not playing in 4K? I don't think that comparing the same content using different applications (Youtube and Google play movies) would give us accurate results on this matter. I believe the redeemed movies are 4K. They should play in 4K resolution automatically on google play/Google movies.

Regards,

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
EDUBYA71
Explorer

@Vanilla_ wrote:

Hi EDUBYA71,

Could you let us know how you managed to find that they're not playing in 4K? I don't think that comparing the same content using different applications (Youtube and Google play movies) would give us accurate results on this matter. I believe the redeemed movies are 4K. They should play in 4K resolution automatically on google play/Google movies.

Regards,

Vanilla_

YouTube tells you what the content resolution is, Stats for nerds gives a more accurate breakdown of what the content is playing at vs what the native resolution is.

When speaking to the Google representitive he advised me that the Google Play Movies app was not designed to handle 4K playback, which I myself felt was strange (I actually think it plays in 720p via that app), he also said that YouTube was the only way to play 4K content, purchased from the Google Play Store, in 4K.

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi EDUBYA71,

That's interesting. I've done some research on Google Play movies, and found this article on 4K movies playback. Could you try to see if your TV will display the same options: https://bit.ly/2QOdr8N?

Let us know if this resolves it.

Regards,

profile.country.GB.title
EDUBYA71
Explorer

Thanks Vanilla,

I actually received a response from the Sony Support team a few days ago which recommended that I reset the TV and run through the initial set-up process again, I did so and it has appeared to fix the problem; so my 4K movies now playback in 4K when streaming via YouTube.

profile.country.GB.title
Hifzur
New

Hi? I have the same TV, now all of a sudden I don't even get the 4K options to buy from Google Play or Rakuten TV. Sony Please sort out