Join now - be part of our community!

How to use the Internet

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use the Internet

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a good book (or web resources) on "How to use the Internet" or something like that.  I am trying to teach my Dad, and its like pulling hens teeth.  Im getting frustrated, hes getting frustrated. 

I know there are the Idiots and Dummies Guides - But they are either old, or contain so much useless stuff.  So im kinda asking for any recommendations that you guys know of?

Cheers.

3 REPLIES 3
Nadine1325

I can imagine how quickly those books become obsolete. What type of things are you trying to introduce him to, Quinnicus? How to use google and wikipedia? Or social media sites like FB, Twitter, Instagram? Or more practical things like how look up matches and fixtures, how to download music, watch tv/films online?

If you try and start with one aspect, print things off the internet for up-to-date guidance, and give them time to practise, parents will become used to it gradually and can then move on to the next area. My mum started going online a few years ago, and can do certain things well, and others not at all. It just takes time and patience.... Which I don't really possess, lol!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that.  Its given me an idea on where to start.  I think Ill start with what Firefox (and web-browsers are) and their basic function.  I might even get him use to the Sony forums (as they are generally easy to use)

I think what he needs to learn is the basics before anything else.

He was trying to use an online sports forum, and it was doing both our heads in, him not understanding, and me, well im not a teacher !  The problem is, he doesnt know what or where to click - never mind going to the next page of a longer topic.

He now knows how to switch on a laptop - and play solitare (which is a good game btw for mouse/trackpad control)

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Which? used to have a guide for simple internet use, but again, it's probably no better than the dummies stuff, By the way I think it's funny in France it is called Pour Les Nulls! Which is probably more insulting than dummy!