Join now - be part of our community!

Join our Sony Community IFA livestream

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Join our Sony Community IFA livestream

Hello everyone,

shortly after the press conference has concluded @dutchice and I will give you a short tour of the booth and offer you a first look at the new (and hopefully exciting) products Sony will reveal at IFA fair.

For that purpose we set up a livestream which you can join here:

It would be great if you could ask us many questions in the live-chat so we can answer them while we have access to the products.

- Nic

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

If the livestream doesn't work, please don't be angry with me, because it will probably be because of the one variable I don't have any control over - which is the internet connection.

While the setup I am using is very thoroughly tested and will work up to the device which encodes the video and sents it out to YouTubes server (I am using a TeraDek VidiU for that), getting that data there is the biggest hurdle.

Let me explain:

On "press day" all the members of the national and international press have the option to use Sonys WiFi which they set up so that articles, photos and even videos can be published directly from the showfloor/booth without the journalists having to go back to their office to publish from there.

While I am sure Sony pays for the best option available having 100+ people all accessing the hotspot at once at a crowded space can lead to issues with the WiFi breaking down/being glitchy (which means it can happen that a device disconnects for a few seconds).
This may not be an issue for publishing articles or photos, yet for a video stream it can cause stuttering/artifacts.

The same goes for mobile data which is our "backup".
Since Germanys infrastructure can't really handle many more people than usually accessing the same cell-tower/-antenna, this connection is just as unreliable, so the "backup" in that case is no real backup in my opinion but a "last resort" if the WiFi breaks down completely (which hopefully won't happen if the IFA-staff did their job :tongue: )

So just in case the stream is unwatchable/doesn't even reach YouTubes server, be assured I did everything I can to make it possible AND that you will be able to see the 4K-recording a few hours later when I am back at the hotel.

- Nic