Join now - be part of our community!

Kodi scam email

profile.country.GB.title
OND117
New

Kodi scam email

Hi there

Yesterday i've received email from Sony where is stated: 

It has been detected that you are using or recently used streaming services from your IP address using Kodi media software. 

You may have seen recently in the news media that laws have now changed, it is within our right as copyrights holder and producer that the material you are illegally streaming is in breach of our copyrights & therefore we have a right to prosecute you to the full extent of the law. 

It is now law that misuse of illegal streaming and the sale of preloaded Kodi boxes can be a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison. 

Prior to perusing legal action against you we have the option where you can pay a subscription fee of £4.99 where this will give you the right to view our material and permit you to continue streaming services via the Kodi software.

Sony Pictures Legal have partnered up with Disney, Hallmark, Lionsgate & Newline Cinema to combat Illegal streaming copyrights content. 

Don’t delay and prolong your illegal activity.

Regards

Sony Legal 

Well what is dodgy on this is that i don't use kodi at first place and i don't sell or own fully loaded boxes or anything like that.I don't watch sports at all as is not interesting for me. I have Netflix and amazon prime which is enough for me for movies and documentaries. Next my name on email is correct also with with my old phone number but first digit is missing. There is also a postcode which is completely wrong so i assumed that this must be some scam email. Below all that text is button "SUBSCRIBE" which i did not pressed for security reasons. 

I think that my details been stolen from playstation network and i've changed my password today just in case. Tried to google it if that email is genuine or not but i could not find anything. Strange is that all links in this email are working. Not sure what to think about that.  

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @OND117 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting this and making our members aware of this scam!

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi OND117,

Thanks a lot for sharing - this is definitely scam.

Sony wouldn't send such e-mails.

We've reported this case internally.

Again, thanks a lot for putting our attention on it

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @OND117

What email address did this come from?

profile.country.GB.title
OND117
New

subscribe@sonypictureslegal.com

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@OND117 - Thanks :slight_smile:

Definately dodgy!

I have passed this on to our Sony contacts.

profile.country.GB.title
OND117
New

email itself actually looks very convincing as has sony pictures logo on the top on black background. Private policy and trems of use on the bottom are linked to real sony website when you click on it. Disney, Hallmark channel, Lionsgate, New line cinema logos are next to privacy policy and when you click on it they are also linked to real websites. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Wow, it looks like they put some effort into it! ::frowning2:

profile.country.GB.title
hamrowannie
New

I've had one of these too. But it's def a scam?? I found it quite scary

hamrowannie