Join now - be part of our community!

Network capability of KDL-32R413B

SOLVED
ben_hansen92
Explorer

Network capability of KDL-32R413B

I have just bought a KDL-32R413B tv with no interest in network connectivity. However, since playing around and such I have discovered Wi-Fi direct settings and network settings through the LAN port in the back of the set. After investigation and many attempts to connect to the Wi-Fi it seems like the TV does not have any network capabilities at all. So why does it have the options? and more to the point why does it have a LAN port?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets confirm two things

1. This TV does have a LAN port
  2. This TV is NOT a Smart TV.

So on the face of things you would think "stupid Sony providing a network port, but totally useless".  But it does actually have a use. 

The TV must comply with the standards set in the UK, and this also includes MHEG-IC Services.  These are the internet only channels in the Freeview EPG.  The channels start at number 225 onwards.  So, to watch these channels you must connect an ethernet cable between your TV and ISPs router and connect the TV to your home network.

On a personal note, I had huge expectations of these channels a couple of years ago, and at the moment, they are largely useless - unless you are really bored.

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Lets confirm two things

1. This TV does have a LAN port
  2. This TV is NOT a Smart TV.

So on the face of things you would think "stupid Sony providing a network port, but totally useless".  But it does actually have a use. 

The TV must comply with the standards set in the UK, and this also includes MHEG-IC Services.  These are the internet only channels in the Freeview EPG.  The channels start at number 225 onwards.  So, to watch these channels you must connect an ethernet cable between your TV and ISPs router and connect the TV to your home network.

On a personal note, I had huge expectations of these channels a couple of years ago, and at the moment, they are largely useless - unless you are really bored.

Cheers

ben_hansen92
Explorer

Thanks for clearing that up.

With regards to the Wi-Fi direct, is that just a general menu option accross all bravia devices and a capability this particular TV just doesn't have connectability (i.e. to stream content from laptop/phone/tablet etc), as i go through all the steps and it will not connect. This is not an issue, i'm just intrigued as to the capabilities of the set.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry I forgot about the Wifi Direct question. Wifi Direct is used on this range of models to connect a phone/tablet directly to the TV to view photos from the device to the TV. 

However your particular model does not support Wifi Direct.  This is the part that has confused me - the Wifi Direct option should be 'greyed' out and not selectable?  The menu items are generally the same and 'viewable' across a range of models - its just that some will be not selectable (ie greyed out)

Cheers

ben_hansen92
Explorer

Yeah this is what confused me about the system. I would have thought, had the unit not got Wi-Fi capability, that I would not be able to see or select Wireless settings let alone run through all the setup and everything. It even allows me to attempt to create a connection...which I guess is stupid, given that Wi-Fi is not supported.

Thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your Welcome :slight_smile: