Join now - be part of our community!

POWER SUPPLY (PSU)

brooksy2013
Explorer

POWER SUPPLY (PSU)

KDL-42W653A

not had this tv long and the external power supply that plugs into the tv seems to be making a buzzing noise. it does not make the noise when the tv is on but once turned off the noise is there again. when you unplug the tv from the wall the noise also goes away. is this a common problem with some power supplys or is a repair needed ??

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

I would certainly get that looked at, as it doesnt sound right - just ensure firstly though that the cable is connected securely. 

Cheers

brooksy2013
Explorer

yes the cable is in properly ant the noise is still there, its weird because when the tv is on the is no noise what so ever its just when i turn it off the AC adapter starts buzzing 😕

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, i really dont know.  But considering its a new TV, I think it might be best to get it checked out.  Better to err on the side of caution, especially when power/electrics are concerned.

brooksy2013
Explorer

oh i have just unpluged the ac adapter from my surge protecter and just plugged it into a normal socket and the noise has gone :open_mouth: can surge protectors cause this ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well...theres a turn. 

If its a generic surge protector, simply replace it would be my advice.  However if its a branded one (ie belkin) they can have a lifetime guarrantee (well mine is), send them an email requesting advice/info.

Although my surge protector does NOT make any noise, so.....

brooksy2013
Explorer

its not the surge protector making the noise. it seems that my surge protector is making the AC adaptor buzz. and its a standard surge protector that i bought in asda a week ago now 

Anonymous
Not applicable

certainly doesnt sound like the surge protector is doing its job though. 

When I bought my surge protector I justified that it was a small price to pay for £3000 of equipment connected (in my case).  If you search Amazon, there are many very good ones on the market, for not too much cost (ie £20 or less).  Unless its got a decent guarrantee, I dont trust them

All this is personal opinion by the way  :slight_smile:

brooksy2013
Explorer

can you point out any good ones you think are worthy in a link?ive been looking on amazon but the is just to many to choose from 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there

The one I have, is this one.  Its big and bulky though.  There is also a 6socket version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Isolator-Cinema-Protector-Sockets/dp/B0002AG9SA/

This one looks equally as good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000093T88/

Cheers