Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

SOLVED
Nirurin
New

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

I recently purchases a sony a6000 camera from John Lewis, under the terms of the current sony camera cashback offer. This states that I receive £50 cashback if I purchase a camera during this time frame, as long as I send them the invoice which shows the date, invoice number, product model, etc. 

I have now done this 6 times. 

Every single time I send it, they respond with a different 'reason' that my claim is invalid. Sometimes it is that the date is not shown. Sometimes that the model number is not shown. Sometimes its the invoice number that isn't shown. 

However... I always send the exact same invoice document. And the document clearly shows the invoice date, invoice number, model number, etc etc. The document is perfectly fine. 

At first I gave sony the benefit of the doubt, assuming that it was some kind of automated service. However I have now had slightly different responses, but all having some degree of a copy/pasted response. Clearly the response team have been given a list of 'excuses' to respond with, in the hopes that their customer will just give up. 

I have contacted the customer services team by email on two seperate occasions, but am yet to receive a response. 

At this point I need to find out what the next stage of escalation would be. I have fulfilled sony's own terms and conditions to the letter, so I know that legally I am prefectly within my rights to expect the money that they owe me. However I do not know the best way to proceed. 

I hope someone on here can direct me in the right direction. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nirurin
New

Mine got sorted in the end, just by being persistant and sending and resending complaining emails. 

View solution in original post

97 REPLIES 97
cherylswan83

I have had the same issue. I provided the invoice to them and even recieved an email stating the money would be in my account within 5 working days and it has been over a month now. Finding anyone to contact about this is a nightmare. I must say I'm really not impressed with the customer service with this and like you say it almost feels lke a scam now.

andydona
Explorer

Did you ever get this sorted? I'm suffering in exactly the same way with an A6000 bought from John Lewis. I re-submitted the only receipt John Lewis provided and explained that it clearly shows all the details they require only to receive an exact copy of their first "you've failed" email.  I phoned the number given in case of problems to eventually be told I had submitted the Jpeg as a zip file so nobody could open it!!!!! (I certainly hadn't but in any case - a zip file and Sony couldn't open it?)

Nirurin
New

Mine got sorted in the end, just by being persistant and sending and resending complaining emails. 

cherylswan83

Literally about a week ago. It took a hell of a lot of complaining. They just want people to give up and forget about it, don't...just keep persisting even when it does make your blood boil. 

This number may help: 0207 365 2810 I think I got through by selecting Cameras then Service on the menu system)

Brainiac57
Explorer

What a rip off customer service guy slipped up after I phoned yet again about another so called problem with my proof of purchase and said Sony have paid out too much on cash back.  When I said I was recording the conversation he said I was not authorised to record the call and hung up on me.

andydona
Explorer

My money finally appeared about a week ago - nearly 8 weeks after first claiming. I eventually submitted John Lewis's VAT receipt - but they still managed to drag it out for several more weeks after that, firstly 'oh we've been having problems in that area', then 'yes, it's just waiting for final authorisation'. When it did get paid there was no e-mail, I just noticed an unexpected credit on my account. Communication from them has been crap from start to finish. Great camera, attrocious customer service.

GMWNE21

For a major multi-national company Sony's customer service ranks at the lowest possible level. Having bought several photographic items on "cashback", I am only too aware as to how difficult it is to get Sony to honour their contract and legal obligations. They appear to pride themselves in creating barriers as to why they should withhold payment. Their reputation within the retail sector for this tactic is widely known and a disgrace compared to the other major players. I have escalated their conduct to my local MP and I am about to do the sane with our MEP. The products are great.....The  "cashback" customer service is truly abysmal. Many times I have asked for an email address for the head of Sony UK, but this is never provided......I look forward to them being shamed on national / international media. I will provide damning evidence if asked>

profile.country.GB.title
kim1861

I have been successful with 2 previous cashback offers, and receiving an email notification of cashback on lens purchases, thought I would treat myself. Sony have now decided that Amazon do not qualify. No mention of this in the promotion; you would have to check the terms and conditions ( and who does? ). I have given them 7 days to sort this out, then I shall escalate to Hirai San's office. I have been a very loyal customer of Sony's over the years, so this has left a very bad taste of what I have always thought of as a great company. I am now thinking of how best to exit Sony's camera system and move to someone  who appreciates their customers.

profile.country.GB.title
kim1861

I have given them a week to sort mine out, then I am escalating it straight to Kazuo Hira. The "buck stops with him" as far as I am concerned.