Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

SOLVED
Nirurin
New

Sony Cashback Scam? - Where to complain?

I recently purchases a sony a6000 camera from John Lewis, under the terms of the current sony camera cashback offer. This states that I receive £50 cashback if I purchase a camera during this time frame, as long as I send them the invoice which shows the date, invoice number, product model, etc. 

I have now done this 6 times. 

Every single time I send it, they respond with a different 'reason' that my claim is invalid. Sometimes it is that the date is not shown. Sometimes that the model number is not shown. Sometimes its the invoice number that isn't shown. 

However... I always send the exact same invoice document. And the document clearly shows the invoice date, invoice number, model number, etc etc. The document is perfectly fine. 

At first I gave sony the benefit of the doubt, assuming that it was some kind of automated service. However I have now had slightly different responses, but all having some degree of a copy/pasted response. Clearly the response team have been given a list of 'excuses' to respond with, in the hopes that their customer will just give up. 

I have contacted the customer services team by email on two seperate occasions, but am yet to receive a response. 

At this point I need to find out what the next stage of escalation would be. I have fulfilled sony's own terms and conditions to the letter, so I know that legally I am prefectly within my rights to expect the money that they owe me. However I do not know the best way to proceed. 

I hope someone on here can direct me in the right direction. 

97 REPLIES 97
profile.country.GB.title
Alan.14
Explorer

Foggo12: Just looked back at my email exchanges. When I initially submitted the cashback claim through their website, complete with receipt and serial number images, I got an acknowledgement, along with a 6 digit ClaimID to allow tracking of progress, and an 8 digit registration code to use in the event of query. I was further advised payment would be made within 28 days of validation of claim, with 2 further emails when the money transfer was made and completed.

I waited patiently.

Over the following few weeks I used the ClaimID to check on progress. There was none. 

I then raised an enquiry, thru their web-site as I recall, quoting the 8 digit code, and asking why, despite having all required documentation present and correct, no progress had been made.

This was acknowledged, with a further 8 digit 'case' code.

2 days later I received an email telling me the claim had been verified 2 weeks previously. Not according to their tracking system it wasn't. No further emails regarding the money transfer were received, but on checking my bank account the £150 had been paid shortly after their last email confirming verification.

Phew!

HTH. Stick at it and hopefully you'll get there!

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
foggo12
Explorer

Cheers alan dont recall getting anything like that? So i think im screwed

profile.country.GB.title
Alan.14
Explorer

If you're sure you met all the criteria for the offer, and it's a decent amount of money, then personally I'd continue to pursue it. From much of the comment on this thread, claimants giving up is one of the objectives of the 'cash-back offer'.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

Hello Foggo12, I have just been reading  your comment and the  kind help you have been offered. I had to fight a long time for my £150.  Although you say you haven't recieved the details Alan has described, it appears you did send the original  details as requested.  Please scroll down and find my thread  there are several updates.  You will see I contacted trading standards in the end.  All the details are there. Hope it helps, but don't give up. 

profile.country.GB.title
no-click

I have had no luck with my claim , different reasons for refusing when all information was correct and on time. I guess they don’t care about repeat customers but just continue to gain sales under false pretences .

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

Hello No-click. Do try contacting the  shop you bought it from, see my  posts earlier they go back a way but as I said I followed the instructions from trading standards and eventually got my money. Good luck 

profile.country.GB.title
no-click

Hi Squire123, have been away for three weeks but will approach my supplier as you suggest as my contract is with them and they advertised the cashback with the product.

It seems unlikely I will get any joy with Sony direct.

profile.country.GB.title
Squire123

Hi  Ni Click, Yes you need to tell  your supplier that. Because at first my suppliers said it was nothing to do with them the cash back was sony's offer.  But  once  Trading standards  told me what to do I contacted them again and insisted they  have a contract with me as  I only bought it from them because of the offer. They changed their minds and helped me get the money.  To get the terminoligy just read back on my previous comments.

Keep going and good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
no-click

Thanks Squire123, will do 👍

profile.country.GB.title
JasonPJI

How about when sony advertises a product as having a certian set of features. 

Those features form a fundemental part of the reason for buying the product, and than after you have parted with your money, sony disables all those features - rendering the product useless.

False advertising!

This happend to me. Sony customer service does not give a rats backside....

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/str-dn1050-and-music-center/m-p/24888...