Join now - be part of our community!

Sony predicts bigger full-year loss

profile.country.en_GB.title
iagibso49

Japan's Sony has said it will report a bigger-than-expected loss for the year to March due to extra costs from exiting its Vaio PC business.

The firm has also been hit by charges related to the writedown of the value of its disc manufacturing business, which makes DVDs and CDs.

The consumer electronics giant now expects to report a full-year loss of 130bn yen ($1.3bn; £770m).

In February, it said it would make a net loss of 110bn yen.

Sony also revised its operating income estimate to 26bn yen, a sharp drop from the 80bn yen forecast it made in February.

The main reason for the revision comes from additional expenses, related to the company's restructuring plans.

In a statement, Sony - which is undergoing a major restructuring programme - said it would be hit by an extra 30bn yen in additional expenses related to its exit from the PC business.

It also said it would incur 25bn yen in impairment charges relating to its overseas disc manufacturing business, with the increasing popularity of downloading of music and films by consumers having hit demand for CDs and DVDs.

Sony said demand for "physical media" had contracted "faster than anticipated".

Sony had announced in February that it would be selling its PC business, and also said at the time that it would split its television division into a separate subsidy as part of its restructuring programme.

The TV and PC units have been a big drag on Sony's earnings in recent years. Earlier this year, ratings agency Moody's cited concerns over the two divisions as a key reason behind its move to cut Sony's credit rating to junk status.

Sony is due to announce its full-year results on 14 May.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

For those that are interested, Sony's official press statement is:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13revision_sony.pdf

I know we've had this debat before, but what do you make of this news? 

In your opinion what would you like to see Sony do?

Are there things that you think Sony do well, if so what are they?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Ahhh I see that iagibso49 posted that.

I wondered what joy our biggest Sony fan would share with us next :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

Well in their gaming market they've got to be doing well, over 7 million PS4's sold since launched is pretty darn good.

Apart from Vaio, I honestly thought they were doing alright.  Quality TV's, sound systems & cameras avaialble... maybe they're just not selling enough? 😐

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JapanMan2 wrote:

Apart from Vaio, I honestly thought they were doing alright.

In general they are - except addtional expenses from the sale of the VAIO as well as lower than expected demand for physical media (DVD's/Blurays) in the changing shift of consumer habits towards streaming.

However this latest revision doesnt help to quell the rumours of the sale of the TV 'Bravia' side of things - especially since the "split" - easier to sell now, and apparently rumours are that offers have already been made.  How I see this is - if offers are already being made, therefore someone sees a profit in the TV side of things, therefore Sony would be daft to do such a thing.

I have very fond memories of a couple of Sony brands - Walkman, Discman, TV's such as Trinitron