Join now - be part of our community!

Can't listen to CD or DAB from SMT-SX7B on Multi-Room and SongPal

profile.country.GB.title
i4detail
Explorer

Can't listen to CD or DAB from SMT-SX7B on Multi-Room and SongPal

Can anyone help me to listen to CDs or DAB radio from my SMT-SX7B audio system using SongPal to listen on another wireless speaker SRS-ZR5? I can connect the system and speakers via Multi-Room but can only listen to music either from tablet or online.

We just want to listen to our CDs or the radio in other rooms!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi i4detail, 

Welcome to the community. 

I think you should be able to do this. Check the latest firmware for your CMT-SX7B. If the version is displayed as "MC 1.60 / NW 2935" or lower, it's best to update the firmware. Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
i4detail
Explorer

Thank you Pascale for your reply. I've checked the firmware and it seems ok:

MC 1.62

CD 1.020

NW 2994.

If I look at SongPal or MusicCentre as it also seems to be called, I can see my CD System (CMT-SX7B) and I can see my separate speakers (SRS-ZR5) as individual items in the list of Speakers. If I select the CD system, it shows My Library, CD, USB, DAB, FM Tuner, USB DAC, Optical, Audio In, Home Network and then Music, Play Music, Soundcloud, Spotify and Settings. I can use SongPal to play CDs at this stage.

If I then group the System with the other speakers by creating a group on the network (Wireless Multiroom), it creates a group but the app no longer has CD, USB, DAB, FM Tuner, USB DAC, Optical, Audio In as options. All I can do is play music on multiroom from My Library or the streaming services. Once I have included the CD System in a group, I can no longer play CDs or radio through the app even on the CD System itself. Once the CD System has been included in a group, the display on the system say Home Network and won't do anything else. I have to exit the MultiRoom Group and select the CD player separately to regain the use of it.

Whilst I've been trying this, I have now created 9 separate groups on the app and cannot see a way to delete them either, so my app is looking horrendously cluttered.

I am at a complete loss as to how to resolve this and would be grateful for any help available.

Thank you.

Sally

profile.country.GB.title
Wozzy78

Did you ever get this sorted? As Im wanting to do the exact same thing?

profile.country.GB.title
Wozzy78

When I contacted Sony via Facebook Messenger they gave this reply:

"Hi Warren, unfortunately, you'll not be able to play CDs from your CMT-SX7B. You can only play content from the mobile phone that created the group, be it music stored on the phone or streaming services. Hesham."

So looks like my dream of streaming my CDs (and vinyl) to other wireless Sony speakers via Multi-Room is over! (Unless there is an update to the firmware allowing this! - I know the Blu-ray players allow this bizarrely!?) 

The other option is to look to another brand, as I know the 'Sonos Connect' allows you to stream CDs / Vinyls to their wireless speakers. But that would be another £550 outlay! (Connect - £350, Sonos One £200)

Hoping for a Sony solution soon!! 

Warren

profile.country.GB.title
Wozzy78

**UPDATE**

So today I recieved this email: (So dependent on who you speak to at Sony, you get different answers!!)

Thank you for your patience.

In regards to your enquiry regarding your Sony CMT-SX7B, we confirm the below after the investigation:

1- The CDs played on the CMT while having Multi-Room enabled will still be played on the other speakers in the other rooms.

2- The sound of the turntable will not be played through the speakers while enabling Multi-Room.

Should you have further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for your enquiry. 

Yours sincerely,

Nadine

SONY SUPPORT TEAM

* Regards to the turntable answer, I wanted to know if the Sony CMT-SX7B's 'Audio In' input was compatible with Multi-room. But apparently not, unless they still don't understand my question and think im trying to play the turntable direct to wireless speakers, I dunno!?

If anyone has the answers / experience with this system, please reply! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Warren

profile.country.GB.title
i4detail
Explorer

Hi Warren

I also had problems with different advice from the Sony experts about this. I can confirm from my own experience that you CANNOT play CDs on Multi-room on this equipment. I ended up sending my SMT-SX7B back and had to buy an expensive Sony BluRay player to be able to use Multi-room how I wanted. If I had known that in advance I would not have bought Sony at all.

profile.country.GB.title
Wozzy78

Thanks i4detail!

You would think Sony knew what their products can and can't do!? Rather than have people spend money on the off chance that it "might work" 

Yes I was disappointed to find I can’t listen to cds or dab using Multi-room. Surely Sony could sort this out with all of the technology they have to hand. I have had to start to import all of my cds onto my iPad but still can’t use dab Multi-room.