Join now - be part of our community!

CMT-SBT100B amplifier power-up problem - STANDBY blink

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
Harmonitron
Explorer

CMT-SBT100B amplifier power-up problem - STANDBY blink

Model: CMT-SBT100B

Problem: On power-up the STANDBY indicator turns on, INITIALIZE flashes on the display and then STANDBY indicator blinks. The unit will not come out of standby mode.

User manual says that this can be caused by incorrect voltage or a low impedance on the speakers.

• Mains plug and voltage are correct (240 V AC).
  • Speaker resistance measurements are 5.2Ω and 5.7Ω which is as expected for a 6Ω nominal loudspeaker.

I have powered down for 30 minutes and tried again with speakers disconnected. Same result.

Are there any button combinations to force it to give a more detailed error code or start up?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IE.title
Harmonitron
Explorer

Sony Support Team gave me a slightly garbled / unclear version of the reset procedure by email. I figured out the following procedure.

Problem:

CMT-SBT100B on power-up displays INITIALIZE and after a couple of seconds STANDBY indicator blinks continuously. Unit cannot be switched on.

Solution:

Reset the unit.

1. Unplug power, wait for STANDBY led to turn off - then wait another five minutes.
  2. Plug in the power.
  3. As soon as the STANDBY indicator turns on hold the CMT-SBT100B stop [square] button and simultaneously press the remote (RM-AMU171) VOL+ button. You have to be ready to do this before the STANDBY indicator starts to blink.) Hold for several seconds. (10s should be more than enough.)

If all is well you might see INITIALIZE blink three times and the STANDBY light will remain on. Pressing the I/O button will switch the unit out of standby and main display will light up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately it sounds like you need to take the unit to an authorised Sony repair centre.  See:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair/asc

CMT-SBT100B - Standby Flashing.jpg

I also had a look for a service manual for this - but cannot find one freely available.

Cheers

profile.country.IE.title
Harmonitron
Explorer

Sony Support Team gave me a slightly garbled / unclear version of the reset procedure by email. I figured out the following procedure.

Problem:

CMT-SBT100B on power-up displays INITIALIZE and after a couple of seconds STANDBY indicator blinks continuously. Unit cannot be switched on.

Solution:

Reset the unit.

1. Unplug power, wait for STANDBY led to turn off - then wait another five minutes.
  2. Plug in the power.
  3. As soon as the STANDBY indicator turns on hold the CMT-SBT100B stop [square] button and simultaneously press the remote (RM-AMU171) VOL+ button. You have to be ready to do this before the STANDBY indicator starts to blink.) Hold for several seconds. (10s should be more than enough.)

If all is well you might see INITIALIZE blink three times and the STANDBY light will remain on. Pressing the I/O button will switch the unit out of standby and main display will light up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - thanks for posting back.  Glad you have managed to get it resolved and im sure that those instructions will come in handy for others too.

Cheers

Yamaha12
New

Very good instructions, for standby reset.  Got it right, first time. 

profile.country.IE.title
Harmonitron
Explorer

I have struggled to reset using my procedure above on several occasions. The problem seems to be that the amplifier thinks there is a loudspeaker circuit fault. If the procedure doesn't work then disconnect / unplug the speakers before trying the reset. This works reliably for me.

profile.country.GB.title
pemarti7734
Explorer

Is that square button on the remote as well