Join now - be part of our community!

CMT-SBT100B USB doesn't work

profile.country.en_GB.title
ribates84
Explorer

CMT-SBT100B USB doesn't work

Hi

I'm trying to connect a USB device to a CMT-SBT100B for the first time, and can't get it to work.

The display briefly shows 'Reading' and then 'Charging' but I can't get any audio out of it.

I've tried an iPhone 5, an iPad Mini and a Sony Xperia Z3 compact.

I have another Sony HiFi in the house (CMT-G1BIP), and I use the USB mode on that all the time, so I generally know how this stuff works.

Is there something else I ought to try / do different, or is it safe to say it's broken?

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Can I assume that you have set the Hifi into USB mode by pressing USB Function on the remote control, or the function button on the unit itself?

Also, it may take a bit of time for it to "read" all the music on your device, especially if you have a lot of them.  So leave it for a while.

Also, ensure that you do not have too much music - as this may be the cause:

The maximum number of folders and files on the USB device compatible with this system is:

• 1,000* folders (including the root folder)
  • 3,000 files
  • 250 files in a single folder
  • 8 folder levels (in the tree structure of files)

This includes folders that have no playable audio file andempty folders. The number of folders that the system can recognize may be less than actual number of folders, depending on the folder structure.

Failing all that, see if you can get it to play via Bluetooth, at least test it out anyhow.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
ribates84
Explorer

Hi

The title of my post was wrong so I edited it to emphasise that only USB doesn't work. I tested CD, radio and Bluetooth and they're all fine.

I did put the HiFi into USB mode. On my iPhone, the only music I have is the free U2 download, so I don't think the problem is that there's too much music.

Also, my other Sony HiFi works with streaming music services such as Spotify over the USB connection, and that doesn't work either.

profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

Hello see that this model does not think you can read all audio codecs or to decode files you auduio faulty processor.
jimbobk15
Explorer

Hi

Can I assume that only Sony devices can be used to play music via the usb port?

If this is the case, I will never purchase a Sony product such as this again and will recommend others to follow suit.

Have experienced all of the same issues as the original post. So annoying!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimbobk15 wrote:

Can I assume that only Sony devices can be used to play music via the usb port?

Hi there

Why would you assume that? 

Cheers

jimbobk15
Explorer

Like the previous post, I too have tried a variety of devices ( HTC ONE M8,
HTC ONE M9, APPLE Ipod and Apple ipod touch) and while the devices can be
charged, none appear to be able to play music via the hifi.

I have referred to the compatibility section of the Sony website, as
recommended in the device's manual. The website only seems to mention Sony
devices and a select number of non-Sony devices.

Am I wrong? The one way I can play my music from my devices is via
bluetooth. Is there someething I have missed?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Obviously Sony can only guarantee compatibilty on the products it test.  Hence Sony tests thier own products and cannot guarantee other branded products.  This is normal throught all manufacturers.  However I would have hoped that Sony (and other brands) stick to common specifications to ensure compatibility between various manufacturers (but thats only what I hope should happen). 

Have you tried a normal common USB drive?

jimbobk15
Explorer

I have not got a stick to hand but will try it out when I do.

I understand what you are saying but it seems a shame that I am not able to hook my old ipod with its massive library to the hifi. Unfortunately it does not have bluetooth. It is a good system and I am generally happy with the product. I feel the product should maybe could be clearer about its capabilities. Also the sound can be very average at times. 

The DAB radio is great and offers a new world of radio stations.

The CD player's spinning mechanism is surprisingly loud. It often is distracting when listening to my music.The bluetooth is the real selling point of the device but I wonder could I have got a superior device at more economical price.

Thank you for speedy respones

jopayne37
New

apologies for an old post... but.. hopefully i'm looking at it from the right angle.

some usb work, some don't... after looking at one usb (2010 ish sandisk cruzer) on laptop, FAT file system which is fine, and works on sbt100b.

2008 ish integral usb won't play on sbt, says no track.. i looked at it via laptop, which says FAT system..

then it clicked, integral has a key, so when that usb is looked at on laptop, there are two folders for it, one contains the key, the other contains the files. sandisk hasn't got this key... or at least that is what i think is preventing it playing on sbt.

it can't be a folder not shared issue as properties on both say F:not shared, yet one plays on sony and the other doesn't.. seems odd that both play on a panasonic sc pmx32bebk...

i haven't got another spare usb until i buy one tomorrow to test as i emptied both of the ones above to test things out... and i don't fancy emptying an 8gb usb as that'll take ages to put files back in after use