Join now - be part of our community!

CMT-SBT20B DAB System - pre- tuning problems

charlesjennings
Explorer

CMT-SBT20B DAB System - pre- tuning problems

I recently bought a Sony CMT-SBT20B DAB HiFi System to replace a similar Sony system I'd had for about 10 years.

The new system sems to have lost some important functionality that the opder system had.

Can anyone help?  Or do I need to ditch it and buy another make/model?

The Problem

I can't find any way to programme the new HiFi system so that, when I turn it on with the remote controller, it starts on the radio frequency it was on when it was switched off.  It always starts with the first radio station in the alphabetical scanned list ('Absolute Radio').  It's infuriating,  No longer can I simply turn the radio on in the morning and have it on my favourite BBC station.  I have to turn it on, wait for it to start, and then press the pre-programmed button to get to the station I need.

Is there any way around this, or has Sony taken a retrograde step here?

Thanks for any help/pointers before I decide that I've thrown £100 down the drain. 

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
blahblahblah
Explorer

Just an update - it works fine when set to FM i.e. remembers station when turned off and if switching back from another function just DAB it completely forgets. Can people check it's just the DAB function.

Thanks

charlesjennings
Explorer

I've given up on this system.  Its inability to return to the last DAB station it was tuned to, in my opinion, makes it 'not of merchandisable quality'. Especially as older Sony systems with similar specs, and every other system I've seen, used or read about, have this basic functionality.

I returned my CMT-SBT20B today to Sony via Amazon (where I bought it) and replaced it with a unit from another manufacturer.

It's a great pity that this piece of technology, and Sony support, have failed here.  People like me have trusted the Sony brand over the years and spent many '000s of dollars, pounds, euros, yen on Sony technology in the past. This one leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

paulpenni
New

Complaints on this subject to Sony elicited this customer response.

"Thank you for contacting Sony.

After investigating your situation with your CMT-SBT20, please be aware
that there is no issue with the device and it is a normal behavior.

Thank you for your understanding."

It seems I have bought my last Sony product, being also disappointed with
my RX100M3 camera.
profile.country.GB.title
blueSkiesDownUnder
New

Just thought I should jump in and express my disappointment with this mini HiFi also.

Oddly I don't have your problem with the DAB channel on startup, the unit remains on the previously playing station -- so I think you are correct in claiming this is a malfunction.  They should have a firmware patch to fix your problem, but I couldn't find it if there is.

I also checked the USB port, and it played happily with 251 songs with a VFAT (=FAT32) file system on Verbatim USB stick.  Maybe Australia got a different batch.

My issue is with the need to set presets in order to go to another startion.  The only way to get to another DAB channel appears to be by doing a Scan - which then erases all my presets!  So you basically need to assign all your presets the first time - and forget looking for new channels after that.

To be fair, I downloaded the manual before purchasing, and (reading between the lines) all the "features" I don't like are explained there.

Other "features" I don't like are:

• no ability to adjust left/right balance.
  • cannot show the time continuously
  • it only has a common volume for all sources (I use an input from the TV, but it needs have the volume much higher).
  • everytime it comes out of standby, it spins up the CD drive even though it is empty.
  • all the buttons on the remote feel the same in the dark (wouldn't they think of that?).

The sound is good to my ears and the blue tooth functions are okay.

I bought mine from Kogan, and only a month later I saw there were two second hand units in Cashconverters.  I guess there have been some other unhappy customers.

I have been a fan of Sony for some time, so this is really only my first big disappointment with them.

paulpenni
New

Sony confirmed to me that it was normal for my CMT-SBT20B System to require
re-tuning on switch-on. I now rarely use the wretched thing - reception
too is very poor - preferring to listen to a sub £20 DAB/FM/Bluetooth/Alarm
radio with 20 easily found presets purchased from Argos.
I will never again purchase a Sony product.
profile.country.GB.title
keithley
New

DON’T BUY IT HERE’S WHY:

• I purchased TWO CMT-SBT20B s both had an issue whereby the units re-scanning for channels each time before use.
  • On phoning Sony technical support the first time I was told there were no reported issues with the unit. I then stated that there was; however Sony technical support brushed me off by ‘stating I wasn’t looking at official Sony forums and that I should try again’, (phone call is supposedly recorded). It should also be noted that this first unit also didn’t remember the stored pre-set channels I programmed in.
  • On retrying the unit, (under Sony’s recommendation without success), I took the unit back and was given a replacement CMT-SBT20B.
  • I then tried it again and the second one it didn’t work.
  • I then phoned Sony technical support to be told that what I needed to do was press the ‘stop’ button when it started to scan and this would stop it scanning. Again, I was at work for this phone call and couldn’t trial this immediately. The phone call was extremely lengthy as the operator left me on hold for 15 minutes whilst gathering this erroneous information from somebody else, (phone call is supposedly recorded).
  • On trialling the ‘stop’ button that evening, or course, I found the guidance to be incorrect, (nothing would stop the unit scanning for channels).
  • I then phoned Sony technical support to get an explanation for this. I was met with a flat rebuttal that anything was wrong with the unit. I requested that Sony ship me a replacement upgraded product, (i.e. one more expensive in the product range at no expense to me). I was told that Sony never do this and that the hardware / software for Sony DAB radios was common throughout all products and that ALL Sony micro system audio systems would do the same thing and scan for channels. Obviously I value my time on this planet more than trying to establish if this is true, (and I’m still none the wiser).
  • I then replaced the unit with a Panasonic unit.
  • Under the The Consumer Rights Act 2015 I was mis-sold the device on more than one occasion under “As described” : The goods supplied must match any description given to you, or any models or samples shown to you at the time of purchase
    • Instructions: The operating instructions state ‘the first time after you purchase the system’, which, by implication, means that after that DAB Automatic Scan does not start.
    • Sony technical support informing me that the units weren’t faulty and that ALL Sony DAB radios throughout the product range do the same thing. This conversation is recorded.
  • Under the The Consumer Rights Act 2015 I have the right to complain about “poor service”:
    • Legislation says that you should complain if the job was not carried out with reasonable care and skill.
    • I relied on the information given to me by Sony, (whether written or or not), it is binding.