Join now - be part of our community!

CMT-X7CDB Nightmare Network and Desperate DAB

profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

CMT-X7CDB Nightmare Network and Desperate DAB

Firstly great little compact Hi-Fi.

1. Bluetooth Setup & Use flawless but network setup and use a different story.
  2. WLAN setup through Music Centre a nightmare and I sell and teach Wi-Fi. Every time Music Centre gets updated the reliabilty appears to get worse every time.
  3. DAB JUST DOESN'T WORK.  I live in a DAB area and the best i could ever get was a listing of channels but no sound despite multiple factory resets and DAB searches.
  4. FM Reception is flawless
  5. Playing tracks over network is delayed and not a nice user experience 
  6. PLEASE ADD CHROMECAST TO THIS DEVICE.

What can i do about DAB not working. I'm a tech so don't insult me with baby troubleshooting. 

GT

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi GT

WiFi extenders have been known to interfere with DAB signals, even screen them completely. Could this perhaps be the issue, assuming you've set your X7CDB up for optimium WiFi signal? 

Apart from trying the HiFi in another location in the house, the only other thing I can think of is to check whether DAB reception is possible with another device.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

Mick,

No Wi-Fi extenders in use just a dual Radio AP. DAB works at from 175MHz to 230MHz approx. so I fail to see how 2.4GHz & 5GHz Wi-Fi can completely jam a signal magnitudes lower on the spectrum. Bearing in mind FM, slightly lower on the band, is perfect.

Have tried the DAB in other rooms and had to go to 2nd floor to even get a channel listing. On ground and 1st floor the Sony can't even find even evidence of a DAB channel never mind tune into it. Both my cars can receive DAB perfectly only 5 metres from my Sony.

The Sony DAB receiver simply isn't sensitive enough so I'm starting to wonder if I have a faulty unit.

Regards,

GT
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi GT, sorry to be a while getting back to you.

I can't imagine this is a fault, if as you say you are able to get channel listings.

I think it's fair to say DAB on this unit may need to be ideally sited to work as well as a dedicated DAB radio. It's probably down the lack of a good-sized antenna, which of course your cars will have and would explain why they receive such a good signal. With the unit being designed primarily for compactness and multi-functionalty, it does – as you have amply pointed out – fall a little short in some departments. 

I'm guessing you are using the supplied FM antenna as well as the little pop-up one? Some of our regulars here have worked out a hack to boost their reception. Not completely elegant, but it may help.

Best wishes

Mick

profile.country.IE.title
GT-IRL
Explorer

Pop up antenna is for Wi-Fi only.

Think I'll contact their Sony support, perhaps i got a dud.

Great device otherwise. Pity no Chromecast... YET

Regards,

GT