Join now - be part of our community!

European STR-DN1080 limited?!

profile.country.DK.title
Tom_Heinrich
Explorer

European STR-DN1080 limited?!

Just got rid of my excellent receiver, because the Spotify Connect didn't work anymore. Bought the STR-DN1080 yesterday because of great reviews and features i.e. Spotify Connect and Chromecast. 

It sounds great, but it turns out that in the European models, is not possible to wake the receiver from standby using Spotify Connect, dlna or Chromecast!!!!

That totally stinks! The is no info on it in the manual or the official webpage.

So I bought a piece of gear that doesn't work the it should because of some strange limitation on European models????

It's going and do is my trust in Sony (I'll keep my phone, headphones, tablet and cameras though - they are great!)

I feel you have cheated me, Sony!

Denon, here I come!

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the community and sorry you're disappointed with your STR-DN1080. Did you contact Sony Support about this? 

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.DK.title
Tom_Heinrich
Explorer

Hi Pascale

Thanks.

No, I haven't been in contact with support, because it's just the way the STR-DN1080 works in the European version as described here:

• Set [Network Standby] to [On] in the [Network Settings] menu before using Spotify Connect. When [On] is selected, you can quickly start up the receiver from standby mode to play music (for USA, Canadian and Asia-Pacific models only).

http://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strdn108/v1/en/contents/TP0001385538.html

Greetings,

Tom 

profile.country.GB.title
banaanimeri
Explorer

I am also super frustrated about the same issue. This is a very stupid design flaw.

Did you find a solution for this?

I would even want to return the device, but I am out of my 30-day return window.

profile.country.DK.title
Tom_Heinrich
Explorer

No, I'm afraid not. As I wrote it's not a flaw, but a special "treat" for Europeans 😞

profile.country.GB.title
banaanimeri
Explorer

I fixed it!

I have got zero idea what it was that actually helped eventually, but now I see chromecast, airplay and spotify devices all the time in my network. Even when the receivd has been turned off for days. Once I start using any of them, the receiver automatically turns on and sets itself to correct mode.

At one point I tried to change what type of Spotify device it is. Not sure if that made any difference.

Next up, the recevier had huge issues once I installed my new Cisco Meraki WiFi access point. It was getting a new IP after every few minutes, though the DHCP server was the same as it had been before. I was so lost with the issue and the only thing left to try was to assign a static IP. Even that went very painfully. The WebUI sucks balls to be generous and eventually it was no help. I somehow managed to do it with OSD menus, but it was not something that was a success after a first try. No idea what is the secret recipe.

Either way, after I had done these everything is muy bien now and I almost feel bad that I have named the airplay device as "Stupid receiver".

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Try downloading and installing the 'Sony Music Center' app to your mobile phone. Then pair your phone with the receiver. Either using NFC on the front panel or classic Bluetooth PIN.

To turn on your receiver remotely before casting through SpotifyConnect/Airplay/ChromeCast, you only need to connect to it from your mobile phone. So click on the receiver from the list of bluetooth devices in your mobile phone. This will remotely wake the receiver. Using the Music Center app you then can control pretty much everything on the receiver from your mobile phone through either a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (both must be on the same network) connection.

Having said that, I do agree that they have to include the Network Standby option in the next firmware release for the European models too. Such functionalities should be options to the customer not a mandatory power consumption limitation set by the EU.

profile.country.DK.title
Tom_Heinrich
Explorer

Thank you, but I've sold the receiver and bought a Pioneer LX502...

Tom

profile.country.DK.title
Tom_Heinrich
Explorer

That's great!

I solved my problem too: I bought a Pioneer LX502...

profile.country.RU.title
Deniskamir

What you did ? How you start Spotify or Chromecast connection when receiver is in standby mode on EU-model? What you did ?