Join now - be part of our community!

European STR-DN1080 limited?!

profile.country.DK.title
Tom_Heinrich
Explorer

European STR-DN1080 limited?!

Just got rid of my excellent receiver, because the Spotify Connect didn't work anymore. Bought the STR-DN1080 yesterday because of great reviews and features i.e. Spotify Connect and Chromecast. 

It sounds great, but it turns out that in the European models, is not possible to wake the receiver from standby using Spotify Connect, dlna or Chromecast!!!!

That totally stinks! The is no info on it in the manual or the official webpage.

So I bought a piece of gear that doesn't work the it should because of some strange limitation on European models????

It's going and do is my trust in Sony (I'll keep my phone, headphones, tablet and cameras though - they are great!)

I feel you have cheated me, Sony!

Denon, here I come!

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@Deniskamir wrote:

What you did ? How you start Spotify or Chromecast connection when receiver is in standby mode on EU-model? What you did ?

Hi @Deniskamir,

First set the [Bluetooth Standby] function to ON by following this article. Then download and install the 'Sony Music Center' app to your mobile phone. Then pair your phone with the receiver by following this article.

To turn on your receiver remotely before casting through SpotifyConnect/Airplay/ChromeCast, you only need to connect through bluetooth to it from your mobile phone. So click on the receiver from the list of bluetooth devices in your mobile phone. This will remotely wake the receiver. Using the Music Center app you then can control pretty much everything on the receiver from your mobile phone through either a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (both must be on the same network) connection.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
Jlm21467
Explorer

Hi, I have great news guys, after a few days dealing with this issue (enabling Network standby: ON for European devices) I found the solution

This is what you need to do:

Download MyAv app on an Android device.
Link your STR-DN1080
Go to Settings/Advance settings
Activate the option "Power this device up when MyAV starts (WOL)"

It’s working now, can’t believe it!

This is awesome as I was quite disappointed but now I have my AV fully working as desired.

Thanks to a random guy who shared this info on another forum. You made my day!

Please let me know if it works for you too.

I can wake up my AV from Spotify when streaming starts while it is in standby, I hope this helps to all the Sony fans

Cheers,
Juanjo

profile.country.RU.title
Deniskamir

What about iOS users ? How solve the problem with iOS app? Do you know how MyAv analog app on iOS?

profile.country.GB.title
Jlm21467
Explorer

I’m actually an IOS user. I just got my old android phone and downloaded the app. Once you change the settings, you won’t need the app anymore. MyAv app is not in the App Store btw. 

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

@Jlm21467 Hi. It's basically what my app 'StrRemote Pro' does. However, even though MyAV calls it "WOL", it's not. It's actually Network Standby.

You will need either app to disable Network Standby later on if you're unhappy with how much power the STR-DN1080 uses when on Network Standby mode. It uses approximately 20x the advertised 1.5 watts. Mine uses between 31w and 35w.

profile.country.GB.title
Jlm21467
Explorer

@grolschie @Thanks for the input. You are right. Anyway an android device will be needed to switch Network Standby ON.

profile.country.GB.title
Chappers_2000
New

As an alternative suggestion to anyone who stumbles upon this thread looking for ideas, if you don't mind spending a bit of money to resolve it, a Logitech Harmony remote with the Harmony Hub will provide you another means of getting the receiver to power up 'remotely'. The myHarmony app is network-aware and once paired up to control the Sony receiver, it can issue a power command by effectively transmitting the IR signal from the hub that you'll have placed in your AV rack.

It's a bit of a long-winded process to achieve something that should have been simple, but there you have it.

a.keyx
New

There's no need to install any special apps to enable ability to have the device woken up via call to casting or Spotify connect...

Here's how you do it:

1. Enable zone controls

Go to setup - settings - zone settings:

set Zone Controls to Show

2. Enable HDMI Zone Power

Go to the Home menu - Zone Controls:

set HDMI Zone Power to On

Set HDMI Zone Input to SOURCE 

This will keep the network module on all the time and allow the device to be woken by casting or Spotify connect.

profile.country.BG.title
emilytrey
Explorer

u can solve this with sony  music center.