Join now - be part of our community!

Giga Juke

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Martin_Smith
Visitor

Giga Juke

I have a sony giga juke.  It will not turn on using the remote - it is showing a blue flashing light as if it is in standby but the controls on the unit or the remote will not work.  This happended before and I had to turn it off at the mains.  Has anyone had this problem.

367 REPLIES 367
Niclan
Visitor

Well would you believe it, I put the wireless dongle back in and hey presto, two days later the same problem !!

After going through the whole disconnect dongle, reset, power off, power on, reconnect dongle, power off, power on  routine I tried going into the Software Update option but got a message saying that the server could not be reached. All Wireless stations work ok at this point though which means that the dongle must be working (to some extent anyway). I then tried going into network settings but got the same message as you "Please Wait".

At this point I thought I'd try a wired cable into the router and at this point managed to get through to the software update screen that said "Select Function", I kind of thought that this would give me an option of available updates but no, so I selected "HD" but this seemed to just go into that funtion and start playing the last song played ? Am I doing something wrong here ? Also, could I ask those of you who have done a software update what version of software you currently have installed as mine seems really old:

Software:           1.00.00

System Micro:   1.00A

CD Firm:            5ORO

Any feedback would be much appreciated. For the time being I've just removed the wireless dongle which is not ideal but at least I don't get the Blue Light issue.

HDFatboy96
Visitor

I came home tonight to the blue flashing light again, my other half had used it during the day and switched it off....Back to square one. I did think that the 'green tick' fixed on this thread was being a bit premature.

Same thing for me when I try to update, asks me to select function then nothing and 'please wait' while trying to get into network settings until I have to either pull the plug or press the power and stop button.

Not quite sure what the options are now. Sony obviously couldn't give a toss and I refuse to pay for a repair. Maybe switch off at the plug after every play???

spoysers
Visitor

Well I'm sort of relieved to find this thread as it definately indicates that it isn't just my unit that is at fault but is clearly some sort of universal fault either caused by some sort of Sony automatic update, or an inherent fault in the units when they were built.

TBH I can't imagine it was an update as Sony seemed to stop supporting this unit before it was even released!Unfortunately that means it is unlikely to ever be fixed.

My unit started the "Not Switching On"  fun and games about a fortnight ago (I assume this is when it started for everyone?).

I am more p155ed off than most because the unit was only repaired about 14 months ago when the original hard drive failed (2 weeks out of warranty) and was repaired for the princely sum of £200!! So this really has turned out to be a big lemon. Like others on here I definately will not be buying another Sony stereo (probably any Sony equipment actually, as I think the Sony quality has gone rapidly down hill over the years).

Some people have suggested updating the software,however, when I try that I just get a screen that says Select Function, but then nothing to select, can any one shed any light on how to perform the software update?

Also after updating what software version should you end up with, I currently have:

Software 1.01.00

CD 5ORO

TIA

Niclan
Visitor

After reading DEANO16''s tip about removing the wireless dongle, I too removed mine and left it disconnected on Monday and it seemed to work ok. I've been away all week but on coming home yesterday realised that it's been working fine for the rest of the family while I've been away. I've just put the dongle back in and so far so good so thanks for the tip deano.

One thing that may be a coincidence but the problems started just after I got a new phone and hooked it up to my wireless LAN at home, I don't think it knocked out the GAGA JUKE's reservered IP address on the router but maybe it did and as such forced it to get another one which may have messed it up ? Just a thought but thought I'd share it anyway.

By the way, I agree that Sony have treated this problem extremely badly, especially seeing as so many of us have raised the same fault at around the same time. It almost looks as though a deliberate time bomb was put in them to guarantee work for their maintenance depts, very poor show.

tobler2
Visitor

Mmmm! Sorry to say that the remove dongle etc only worked as a temporary fix for me.

Tried to go through the Software Update function, but same As Niclan - no server.

COME ON SONY SURELY YOU MUST REALISE THERE IS A PROBLEM HERE - have we paid out megabucks for these systems, only to be let down by you.

This problem cannot be limited to the people who have posted here - there are probably hundreds who do not know it even exists, and have either given up the ghost and ditched their kit, or paid Sony to repair it!!

I have always purchased Sony audio & TV, but I don't think I will be in future. 

Is there a moderator in this group who could make some comment?

profile.country.GB.title
p1lgrim
Explorer

Like many others my dongle reset lasted a few days before the blue light reappeared.

Whats even more confusing is that when I do check server settings it states that no connection to the internet.....if thats the case, how could the system develop this issue if its got no external connections???

Ho Hum, I'm no technical wizard and I'm sure there is a rational explaination.

Reset now, just waiting for the blue light to stay on again!:smileysad:

HDFatboy96
Visitor

Sonys silence is DEAFENING!..... It would be laughable if I hadn't spent over a grand on their products.

I''ve just called their 'helpline' again ( I know, I must be a sucker for punishment!) only to find it closed. Makes sense I guess, their staff only work half the time. A lot like their products if a lot of the threads on this forum are anything to go by.

Take a bow Sony....................

Message was edited by: -Cass-

alralph15
Visitor

Hi All,

Just to say that I have the same problem with my Giga Juke. (2 years old)

The first sign of issues is normally the Green volume bar goes missing from the screen.

Sometimes the use of the Dimmer function on the remote stops working, along with the various filters like jazz, pop, classical.

I have been in contact with my local sony repair centre in Peterborough, who confirm they have seen the same problem but dont have a specific fix, other than format the disk. They can reload the operating system in the workshop and that has fixed a few that they have had in for repair.

Unfortunatly I did a backup and then did a reformat, and guess what the back up will not restore, although I can see the files on a PC.

I too can not get the software update function to work.

The local repair centre have been very honest and helpfull and agree that there is little point in returning the unit, unless Sony say there is a specific fix, and I likewise dont want to reload hundreds of CD's to be back at square one after a few days.

I have told the repair centre about this forum and the postings. As someone said in an earlier posting, these were not cheap units and I think its wrong for Sony to leave us without a fix.

Like a previous poster, I wonder if it was related to the hacking issue. I would also like to know what information sony stores about us, and the gigajuke, as sometimes the wireless dongle is chatting away to the network for hours without an apparent reason.

I do have an older gigajuke which is not wireless connected in the conservatory and that is working fine.

Regards

Alan

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi All,

just to let you know that Sony are aware of this problem & have been made aware of your comments..

Here is a response that we have received..

This issue is currently under investigation, unfortunately none of these  products have had any updates or software related changes that could  have caused this issue, we believe a service that is accessed by the  Giga Juke has changed, although nothing has been advised, we will update  the forum and the Service Network as soon as we find the fault and the  possible cure, either by Sony or the 3rd party service.

As soon as we hear anything more we'll update you ASAP..

alralph15
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

I am pleased you had a response from Sony.

In the interim I have stopped using the gigajuke , and have gone back to using the original CD's and record the radio programs, I want to timeshift on a freeview recorder. The "fault" was starting to appear several times a day and was getting very tedious. In a recent hifi magazine, there was a warning that with the increase of NAS type products we are at the mercy of the manufactuers, as unlike a pc based system you dont have access to any of the files or data, so cant do any housekeeping.

regards

Alan