Join now - be part of our community!

Giga Juke

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Martin_Smith
Visitor

Giga Juke

I have a sony giga juke.  It will not turn on using the remote - it is showing a blue flashing light as if it is in standby but the controls on the unit or the remote will not work.  This happended before and I had to turn it off at the mains.  Has anyone had this problem.

367 REPLIES 367
hinneybeast
Explorer

Thank you for this temporary fix (deprive it of the internet and it works fine), but no gracenote, and no using it as a server, and no accessing music off my other NAS.

Here was Sony's suggestion which I am so glad I didn't follow

Untitled-1.jpg

dapethe89
New

Hi All

I'm in the same boat but as I only acquired my machine about two months ago, and was still struggling with getting familiar with it, I thought it was something I was doing incorrectly when it started to play up, around the end of September.

I finally resorted to emailing Sony but meanwhile went in search of people who may have experienced similar issues - and here you all are. I can only say that I'm grateful to you all for making me aware that it's not just me and it wasn't apparently anything I was doing wrong.

I can't add very much to what's been discussed so far other than to say that my reply from Sony did not appear to show that the person dealing with me had been informed of this problem and was encouraging me to re-format the system. Although this would not be a particular problem, as I've so far put so little on it, I will resist for the moment and await developments.

I have however been really frustrated by the fact that the reset appears to work sometimes (and for sufficient time to copy on several CDs over a period of time) only then for the system to freeze again even at the first attempt on others.

Something I have noticed however is that mine freezes on some occasions when attempting to register pictures from a USB memory stick but seems only to happen with one stick I have, with a reasonably large capacity, but not with another of a smaller size.

Thanks for restoring my sanity even if a solution still appears some distance off.

Dave

hailsham26
New

We too have been having this problem.

To add insult to injury we also can not connect to our home router, every other available wireless internet connection in the area shows up as available but ours is never there!!!!So also not got an internet connection.We know the router is working fine as we have internet access, we also know that the Sony router is working as we have a home network connection.

I also agree that the response from Sony is appalling .my experience was :

Rang them and was fobbed off and was asked to find out my router model no so had to ring em back.To be fair to the second girl she did run through a few things but to no avail, then on a chance third call I got through to someone who was interested and actually rang me  back and spent over an hour trying to help.He then said the infamous words:

i will ring you back tommorrow after I have tried to find a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naturally - NO CALL

The thing that makes me think this is a wireless dongle problem is that:

We had to send our first one back and have a replacement in the warranty period ( we bought ours literally as soon as it hit the shelves so had one of the very first batch) as the dongle was faulty.

the current one we had for 4months before wwe packed it up as the house was being knocked to  bits and we didnt want it dusted up so has only actually been used for about a year.

To be told to take it to a repair shop and spend probably another £200 getting it fixed-no way.

If Sony can't fix the prob then we will cut our losses and get another system as there are so many other systems available on the market now.

Has really put us off Sony now and I agree their quality is not what it was.

Does anyone else have an answer to the internet connection thing?

all we are doing to stop the knoghrider syndrome is to every now and again reset the system.

hailsham26
New

How many others are like us and not got an internet connection too i wonder.

Don't bother phoning Sony it will just make you madder LOL

by chance can you pick up other wireless connections from neighbours etc ?

hailsham26
New

How I wish you were right about the internet connection Hinneybeast, we have no internet connection and still have the problem.

profile.country.en_IE.title
POLLYBLU
Visitor

Hi, I unfortunately am another one with a problem with the Giga Juke, started mid September, the whole system just froze and I had to unplug from the mains to get it started up again...it was okay for a few days then the same thing happened, I brought it to the dealer where it was bought and they wanted a €65 inspection fee...I don't need it inspected as I know it is fautly, especially now after seeing that so many other people have this problem....I think the guy at the dealers updated the software and it was okay for about a week, but now it is worse than ever and anytime I do switch it on I can't switch it off again as it just freezes, so the whole thing of unplugging starts all over again...

I am so dissapointed and annoyed with it, my husband bought it as a birthday gift for me and as you all know they are not cheap...well monetary wise anyway....I am surprised that a giant like Sony have not done anything about this yet having seen how so many people are dissatisfied and everybody's sytems seems to have gone wrong around the same time...My Giga Juke is only 18 months old...it's a disgrace really that Sony could put there name to such a shoddy piece of workmanship

Does anybody know if there have been any updates from Sony on this matter...

Message was edited by: POLLYBLU

Message was edited by: POLLYBLU

HDFatboy96
Visitor

Not as yet Pollyblu. Still waiting......And waiting................And waiting!

Nobody should be asked to pay for a 'repair' as this is purely a Sony related problem.

As I've said in my earlier posts a quick mail to 'Watchdog' might be beneficial, if only to speed the process up and let every other gigajuke owner out there that there is a problem!

P.S Does anybody know how to remove the green 'solved' tick at the start of this thread, cos it obviously isn't and annoys me every time I see it!!

profile.country.en_IE.title
POLLYBLU
Visitor

Thanks for that HDFatboy96,

It's a relief to me to know that I am not alone in this...we have a guy here in Ireland who has a voice on national radio and writes a consumer column in the national newspaper, he seems to be great at giving help to people like me and sorting things out with big companys, so I might try and get in touch with him and see what happens...

Thanks again

hedgehog39
Visitor

So glad I finally checked these forums today! Thought I was going mad when mid-end September my NAS-SC500PK started to play up - wouldn't switch off or switch between functions, locked up after ripping a CD etc

Same story here after calling Sony support - turn it off & on again, then it needs a repair.

I won't hold my breath, but I will monitor this forum closly to see if we ever get any joy from Sony.

In the meantime, if there's anything I can do to add any weight to getting a fix from Sony, please let me know.

Cheers,

Hedgehog

:angry:

alralph15
Visitor

Hi All,

just to let you know, I have just had an email from a hifi magazine who are keen to run with this story. They are aware of this forum, and will be asking Sony to make a statement, which will be published in the magazine. Due to lead times, it will not appear until December. I guess by then we will either have a fix or be very unhappy people.

The magazine is also keen to follow up on other items like internet radio, where you are locked into a service provider, and if that goes away you are left with a radio which can not connect to anything.

For those who are thinking of cutting thier losses and jumping ship, I have had the same thoughts, but I can see the same thing happening with other similar products, and you are at the "mercy" or "goodwill" of the company to come up with a fix.

I think its also poor that Sony have not tried to contact other gigajuke owners, who are running round in circles chasing non-existant fixes, or very confused why the product is not working correctly. It is after all a network product, could they not send some form of service message, stating that there is an issue, and ask people to either look at a website statement or phone a helpdesk who have been briefed correctly.

Regards

Alan