Join now - be part of our community!

Giga Juke

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Martin_Smith
Visitor

Giga Juke

I have a sony giga juke.  It will not turn on using the remote - it is showing a blue flashing light as if it is in standby but the controls on the unit or the remote will not work.  This happended before and I had to turn it off at the mains.  Has anyone had this problem.

367 REPLIES 367
hinneybeast
Explorer

Hello there,

I have read your other posts about this, and understand that you are unable to connect your defective GigaJuke to the internet - to be clear: the thing which has remedied this problem for me (and others) is to remove the ability for the GigaJuke to attempt to connect to the internet (ie, the wireless dongle or a wired link) and then force a reboot by pressing the power key and stop key simultaneously.

When I plugged the wire to my router back into my GigaJuke the fault replicated, but without any ability to connect to the the internet it's working (for now); obviously I can't use it as a music server, or access gracenote, or use it as a player for the rest of my music (which is stored on a NAS), I can only use it as a CD player and play the music already stored on its hard-drive.

Could I suggest you try this temporary fix:

• Pull out the wireless dongle / wired connection
  • Reset (stop and power off at the same time) / turn off at the plug
  • Turn the system on
  • Turn the system off
  • Hope this helps to clarify my earlier posting

hinneybeast
    Explorer

Here is the latest from Sony

Untitled-2.jpg

Unplugging the wired connection worked for me (I don't use the wifi dongle) and then pressing on and stop at the same time to force a reboot; but as it isn't connected to the internet (re-inserting the wired connection replicated the fault) I can't access Gracenote, or use it as a server or client - just as a CD player and player for music already ripped to its internal hard-drive.

Message was edited by: hinneybeast

Message was edited by: hinneybeast (Mis-spelt 'Gracenote')

hailsham26
    New

Please do Pollyblu, we need to do something to get these idiots to do something or its just another betamax!!!

been looking at other systems actually.!LOL And while none have the tech features of the giga nor do they have ther tech problems !!So if nothing happens its off to buy a new system and never darken Sony doorstep again.

Oh and another thing to think about guys.I have just been back to the review section of the site I used to buy the blasted thig and edited my review explaining the problem and lack of interest from Sony for anyone thsat wants to read my review to see, I also added the name of the sony forum so prospective customers can check this thread out !

If any of you are able to do the same thing DO!

Message was edited by: hailsham26

profile.country.en_IE.title
    POLLYBLU
    Visitor

Hi Alan,

This is great news and something positive at last...why can't Sony just admit to the problem and help us out, it's not difficult , just be honest and truthful and help us for God's sake....

I appreciate what HINNYBEAST is saying but it's only a temporary solution, plus I have the multi room package and it won't work without being connected to the internet...

I hope the HI FI mag follows through Alan....it would be great to have somebody make Sony sit up and listen...

alralph15
    Visitor

Hi,

Here is an interesting alternative to the Gigajuke.

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/home.html

Just think if Sony was to do a software update, we could have a very good product, eg the ability to play Flac files, Control from smart phone,  internet stations from Receiva which offer a better choice of uk stations etc. They also see a lot more open about software releases etc.

regards

Alan

Message was edited by: alralph15

HDFatboy96
    Visitor

As Pollyblu said, the idea of making my three wireless receivers expensive paperweights doesn't really appeal to me!

I only wish I knew what I was letting myself in for when I bought this over-priced failure of a product!

hedgehog39
    Visitor

Well said!

hedgehog39
    Visitor

Alan - love the look of the X10. Where was this when I was looking at the Giga Juke. Any reviews online for it?

alralph15
    Visitor

hi,

Amazon sell them, and there are some good reviews, comparing it to the gigajuke and the brennen.

Alan

sphinxxxxx
    Visitor

I am so glad I found this forum.  Like everyone on here my Giga Juke started doing all the weird things in September and I took it in to an audio repairer.  They did not know what to do so I contacted Sony who gave me the details of an authorised Sony repairer.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, both myself and the repairer has been in constant contact with Sony about the problems, the repairer obtained a new 'motherboard' from them and installed that, installed a complete new set of system files, and was in the process of trying the 'mainboard' when finally the technical department told the repairer by email yesterday that there was a known problem.  However, Sony Customer Services continued, right up to earlier today, to insist to me that that was not the case and correspondence between their technical dept and the repairer was 'classified!?' - I kid you not.

I have taken the Giga Juke back from the repairer today, and luckily the backup I had made of all my music files re-installed.  Sony have let the customers down badly yet again.  Even before this fiasco I was asking that they update the system so it was not so painfully slow.  In light of what has happened since I need not have wasted time asking.