Join now - be part of our community!

HT-TX3 and PS4 Pro

Jd_2110
New

HT-TX3 and PS4 Pro

Hi all, having spent more time than I should have, reading threads here and elsewhere, searching online and trial-and-erroring my set up, i am hoping someone here can help.

I found out that my soundbar was only HDCP 1.4 capable (a sony soundbar model HT-TX1). So having tried all the safe mode shenanigans, I bit the bullet and bought a new soundbar (sony HT-TX3) which has both an input and output HDMI which are HDCP2.2 capable (says so on the box).

However, having plugged my PS4 Pro into the new soundbar, and this then into my TV, my resolution is still saying "unsupported" for either resolution above 1080p.

I can plug my PS4 Pro directly into my TV, and connect my TV to (either) soundbar and the problem is solved, but this causes cable management issues and having dropped £345 on the new soundbar, there's really no reason now not to return it.
I've tried all ports, settings and hdmi cables to verify that there's not a ***** in the HDCP chain, but losing patience now.

Can anyone provide help / guidance? Or been through anything similar with soundbars / receivers?

TL;DR: new soundbar supports HDCP 2.2 but PS4 Pro says 4K resolution still unsupported.

6 REPLIES 6
Jd_2110
New

So "ch!nk" was censored. Not profanity.sheesh. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Indeed you are correct the HT-XT3 does support HDCP2.2 and 4K pass-though, BUT only via the HDMI1 IN port on the HT-XT3.  Also bare in mind both HDMI cables must be Hi-Speed (Premium) rated at 18Gbps.

HT-XT3-1.jpg

HT-XT3-2.jpg

Cheers

Jd_2110
New

Thanks Quinnicus for the quick reply and detailed info. 

Can you tell me if I am interpreting the table correctly; that any resolution above 1080p is subject to 4:2:0 chroma and 8 bit max? 

If so, I read this as not 'full' 4K? And is a limitation of the unit? 

Many thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Correct - Anything above 1080p is subject either subject to 8 bit or 4:2:0/8 bit - this is still "4K" which refers to resolution. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
kdombaz
Explorer

Hi,

I just installed the following together.

Sony 55X8309C

Sony PS4 Pro

Sony HT-XT3

This is what I found out

If PS4 connected directly to TV which will support Enhanced HDMI configuration, the HDMI port needs to be set to Enhanced (here http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP0000848059.html) and PS4 Pro will run with all the whistles and bells (HDR etc.)

If I connect PS4 to the soundbase (HT-XT3) then I have to set the HDMI on the TV (HDMI4-ARC) to Standard which gives me 4K YUV 420. If HDMI is set to Enhanced PS4 Pro always reverts to 1080p. I kept all settings on the soundbase as defaults.

I don't know if this is any kind of help but this is what heppened to me. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Koray

profile.country.GB.title
kdombaz
Explorer

Right a bit more info in addition to my previous post.

This soundbase can do max 4K@60fps is YUV 420 and 8-bit colour. So even though PS4 Pro is able to do 4K@60fps 4.4.4 10-bit colour this unit will do max 4K@60fps YUV 420 and 8-bit colour. Reading the Sony 55X8509C TV's FAQ it says

"The TV HDMI Enhanced setting advertises the following additional supported timings to the connected source device:
4K (50, 60Hz): YCbCr 4:4:4/8 bit, YCbCr 4:2:2 /8bit/10bit/12bit, YCbCr 4:2:0 / 10bit or RGB signal.  [Aaronwt]: "You don't need to have Enhanced on for the input to accept 2160P60. You do need it on to accept a 10 bit signal though. None of my 65X850C inputs are set to enhanced. But they have no problem receiving 3840 x 2160P at 60Hz from my 4K devices. Like a Roku 4, TiVo Bolt, and the Sony FMP-X10."

"

So I am getting what I am supposed to get based on the limitations of the soundbase. If I want 10-bit colour then I have to connect directly to TV and set the hdmi to Echanced.

That's it. It is sorted now.

Cheers