Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN840 No Low frequency output to speakers (No sub woofer)

SOLVED

STR-DN840 No Low frequency output to speakers (No sub woofer)

Hi

I have just upgraded my old pioneer legacy AV receiver to a Sony STR-DN840. In my speaker setup I dont have dedicated sub-woofers as I am using Canadian "Stage" floor standing speakers for my fronts that have built in Sub-Woofers at the base but use standard speaker cabling.

My problem is that I am not getting the low frequency (sub-woofer) output to these speakers. With my Pioneer amp, (and the one I had before) the receiver recognised the absence of a plugged in sub-woofer and output these low frequencies automatically to the front speakers. This does not seem to be the case with the STR-DN840.

How do I go about enabling this as I can't see anything in the manual about this scenario?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In speaker setup, have you chosen Small or Large for each speaker?  If small, try setting it to Large.

Cheers

Edit: A good website : HERE

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In speaker setup, have you chosen Small or Large for each speaker?  If small, try setting it to Large.

Cheers

Edit: A good website : HERE

Sotaratsu
Explorer

I am struggling with same problem on STR-DN1040. I bought big front speakers so that I wouldn't need the subwoofer, and now I am not given an option to drive the subwoofer channel to front speakers.

I have to admit that after all the praising reviews on the net, I am quite disappointed. European model is lacking the bluetooth connection, one thing I missed in the specs. Now this. There is possibility to drive the speaker channel low tones to subwoofer (SMALL speaker setting) but no vice versa. I am thinking of returning the amp!

Sotaratsu
Explorer

After more listening, I change my opinion.