Join now - be part of our community!

Vtuner not working

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Rbell2010

Vtuner not working

Hi

I have not been able to access vtuner since Friday 5th September, I reported it to sony yesterday and the reply was "Unfortunately, our systems are currently down for maintenance and will be up and running within 24 hours, Please feel free to contact us again at that time.". 

Has anyone else not been able to access vtuner for 4days, it seems that being reliant on just one internet radio supplier may be like putting all of your eggs in one basket.

Having not had the internet radio service for 4 days I feel this is unacceptable, does anyone feel the same?

304 REPLIES 304
richardc79

Wll tobe honest I begin to doubt if this issue will ever be solved...

Maybe Sony want to get ridd of vTuner or visa versa.

I mean, it is taking more then a full month now without any update or progress.

Hope i will have my full refund soon so i can buy a system with a working Internet Radio...

I retunerd my Sony too and now I use a new  Pioneer X-HM81 which works perfect!

Internetradio is back in my house :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

Well I no longer have my STR-DN1040, having returned it. It's replacement is not dependent on vTuner and I now have internet radio again. No thanks to Sony at all.

I'm still appalled at the level of ignorant behaviour from Sony, at all levels from lowliest call centre script robot, to CEO. I've wasted hours investigating the problem online and on the phone, all to no avail.

I hope the rest of you find acceptable ways around this, as I very much doubt one is forthcoming from those accountable for this debacle.

In signing off from this one, a final thought.

Sony, get your damned act together. Show some respect to customers.

Without us, you are nothing.

oudoulj
Explorer

@BollyDave : can you tell us about your replacement system please ?

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

@oudoulj wrote:

@BollyDave : can you tell us about your replacement system please ?

Gladly. Now, I needed to cater for a range of connections to other kit, which is where the 1040 won out over other stuff I looked into originally. And I have to say the sound was pleasing with music, and even better for movies.

After looking at online manuals and specs, I actually went for another Sony(!) this time the 1050, as it's design, connections and features are an evolution of the 1040. Only real difference with connections is 1 less HDMI out, not a problem for me. If it wasn't for the combination of those factors, with sound at the top, I would have happily told Sony where to go, but there you have it.

interestingly the SEN approach is not as emphasised. Within the Listen options are all the usual bits, and for internet radio, Tunein is the free service. As I've used that on an iPad I knew the content would fit the bill.

The iPad app Songpal is nice to use, and accesses more features where sound settings are concerned. Note that the 1040 Network Audio Remote still works with the 1050 also. One surprise was the simplified remote handset. I can live with that, the 1040 remote was too fussy. Combined with subtle changes to the on-screen GUI it's an improvement.

So that's where I'm at. I don't need to endure Sony's support nor the lack of openness elsewhere in that company.

Whilst I'm sure the 1050 will give lots of pleasure, Sony's reputation in handling customer frustrations is tarnished for good as far as I'm concerned. Unless Sony decide to offset all this hassle with some goodwill gesture.

i won't be holding my breath though.

profile.country.GB.title
ribrigg29

BollyDave thanks for the incite into the 1050, as i was wondering what to go for that also had a reliable Internet radio service, and dint know what the 1050 had, was considering the Pioneer 2023,

I have emailed both Sony stating that I require my complaint escalated, and that I intend to return the 1040 for a refund or exchange, and also the retailers RS but their head office for their take on the problem with the 1040 and v tuner.

Who was your retailer , and what was their response to your returning the 1040?

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

@ribrigg29 wrote:

BollyDave thanks for the incite into the 1050, as i was wondering what to go for that also had a reliable Internet radio service, and dint know what the 1050 had, was considering the Pioneer 2023,

I have emailed both Sony stating that I require my complaint escalated, and that I intend to return the 1040 for a refund or exchange, and also the retailers RS but their head office for their take on the problem with the 1040 and v tuner.

Who was your retailer , and what was their response to your returning the 1040?

Must add one detail that has not changed in moving from 1040 to 1050, HDMI passthrough still doesn't work as it should, must be the same tech on both of them. So watching satellite for example, you might want to use the TV's own speakers etc, but within a minute of putting the receiver into standby, all signal to the TV is lost. An annoyance only.

My retailer was excellent. I discussed this with them a couple of weeks back, and they were unaware of the issue. After discussion I raised the idea of trading in and up, knowing that vTuner had been dumped from the 1050 build.

No problem at all they said. Sure I needed to throw a few more quid at it, but I wanted shut of that dependency whilst enjoying the 10xx series sound and features. Anyway my retailer was Richer Sounds and they were more than helpful. I knew they had a reputation for great customer service and can vouch for that, great guys. In fact Sony could take a leaf out of their book when it comes to customer service.

Reading of others that have checked their position as a consumer, and received retailer support it strikes me that Sony will be hit with indirect costs from this anyway, and I now wonder if their campaign of silence is an attempt at a direct cost avoidance strategy,.

profile.country.GB.title
ribrigg29

Thanks for that, yes I think your right about Sony, they replied to my last email by side stepping all the other points I raised, and just said to contact the retailer regarding refund/exchange, mine was also from Richer sounds and like you they have always been excellent for me, but not heard back from them yet.

Sorry meant to give you the info regarding the pass through, presumably you have in the HDMI settings menu have the HDMI control set to on and the pass through to AUTO? and audio out to AMP.

if so and you still have problems, is your TV recent? whatever make it should have the Samsung equivalent of Anynet (HDMI-CEC) this should be turned on but auto switch off to off, but the setup may differ slightly on a different TV, this is how mine is set, and it works fine, you do need to select the source you want to watch IE TV before switching off the amp though, let me know how you get on?

mat_sony_01

Sony don't want to refund mine.

For those who managed to be refund, can you tell us how?
Did that was directly by Sony or with a reseller?

profile.country.GB.title
BollyDave

@mat_sony_01 wrote:

Sony don't want to refund mine.

For those who managed to be refund, can you tell us how?
Did that was directly by Sony or with a reseller?

I'm sure they don't!

best bet is a friendly word with your retailer, especially if the kit is within warranty, and Moreso if you've registered it (point being if you are registered they have NO excuse for bit getting in touch)

its te the retailer that msy have to carry the can, certainly in the uk, as this must be infringing sale of goods act. You could always get advice from CAB in the UK too.