Join now - be part of our community!

Any wizz out there know how to connect me up? Sony amp + Sennheiser cans

profile.country.en_GB.title
mahalles
Visitor

Any wizz out there know how to connect me up? Sony amp + Sennheiser cans

Hi there

I'm struggling with something here and would really like some advice and help, if possible 🙂

I want to connect my amp and my headphones the best way - "best" being best quality and least to switch/change over when moving between sources or turning on!

I've got a Sony STR-DA5200ES amp, with 3 sources -

• I've got a Boxee box connected via HDMI to HDMI 1
  • I've got a Virgin Media Tivo box connected via HDMI to HDMI 2
  • I use the FM radio on the amp also

I just choose either FM, HDMI 1 (Virgin box) or VIDEO 1 (Boxee box) and all is brilliant through my normal speakers 🙂

I've got some new Sennheiser RS220 headphones that have inputs -

• RCA/Analog L/R in
  • RCA/Analog L/R out
  • Coax in
  • Coax out
  • Optical/Digital in
  • Optical/Digital out

What should I use to connect the headphones up to the amp?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Manual for amp (including rear connections) is here - http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDA5200ES&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals...

Pictures (including rear connections) for RS 220 here - http://technabob.com/blog/2012/01/29/sennheiser-rs-220-wireless-headphones/

5 REPLIES 5
Bravia55HX

Hi,

go the Digital Optical route and you will be fine

mahalles
Visitor

Hi there

Thanks for the reply!

I thought that might be best too - but based on the amp that I've got - where should I connect it?  And how can I make sure it's always active as an output, independent of the input source (kinda like a headphone socket does!)?

Mark

Bravia55HX

Hi,

you should see a port on the rear of the amp for optical connection, and would need to set optical out on the amp also the Senns should pick up the connection, check the user guide that came with them to be sure.

i should add also, as this catches many people out!, be sure to remove the dust covers from each end of the Optical cable before you connect and also the little plastic plug (dust cap) on the Amp, this just pulls out.

mahalles
Visitor

Hiya

Hmm, I kinda had gotten this far - I'm pretty au fait with connectors/types/etc ... but the manual doesn't make it clear how to solve my particular problem - like which digital out is constantly on, and how do I make sure it's selected.

I was kinda hoping someone already had this amp or a very similar problem, or that my links to the manuals would have someone look and help 😉  *am I being forward enough? hehe*

I can see an MD DAT OUT - but don't know if that could be used.  I don't see any more optical outs.

Thanks again for your reply!

Mark

quemans
Visitor

I was kinda hoping someone already had this amp or a very similar problem .http://www.depin.info/g.gif