Join now - be part of our community!

AV Receivers Question??

NikolasP
Explorer

AV Receivers Question??

Hallo everyone , 

just a simple question about av receivers......Do they suppose to change signals on TV when for example you switch from TV to HDMI ???? and vice versa or you must use both remote controls (Tv and AV receiver) to change between inputs....????

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Correct - certainly on most decent brands devices, you can toggle using just one remote, i.e. the TV remote to change inputs. I rarely use the receiver remote, maybe to change sound fields or other settings. Make sure you get an amp that supports HDMI-CEC which will automatically switch TV inputs when you switch on a Blu-ray player or other external device.

Hope this helps

NikolasP
Explorer

Thank you for your answer my problem is this : I can change the input from HDMI to TV with my Sony remote but i can not change back to HDMI.....Any ideas why this could be happening ??

Catmambo
Contributor

The remote allows you to toggle/cycle through all inputs be it TV or HDMI. For example, my TV boots up into Freeview, I press the input button and the pop up menu appears at the top left of the screen and its moved to HDMI 1. If I press it again it movies to HDMI 2 and so on, so I can cycle through the 6 or so inputs to get back to Digital TV or simply just type in a channel number e.g. 101 and it will go back that way.

NikolasP
Explorer

Correct , so , when i am changing to HDMI 1 on my Sony TV , with the Sony remote control , shouldn't change automatically my receiver to my connected device ??for example my sat box ?? or do i have to use also, my receivers remote control to change to the desired input as well ....?

I am changing my Sony to HDMI 1 but my receiver stays at TV input , doesnt change to the input device......which means i must use my receivers remote control as well to change to SAT/CBL device.....

Catmambo
Contributor

Have you enabled HDMI CEC on the receiver? Which model is it?

NikolasP
Explorer

Yes i have , its called HDMI ARC and its ON....the receiver is a Pioneer VSX-323-k and it support HDMI CEC functionallity.....

I have bought also new HDMI cables just in case the problem was the cables , but no...

My Sony sees the receiver....and i can enable Sync mode......I can controll the volume on both with just the Sony remote , but not the ON/OFF functions but i dont mind about this....

When i am in HDMI input with the Sony remote control i can switch to TV , but from there i can not go back to HDMI to my receiver unless i use both remote controls (Sony and Pioneer)....

The av receiver supposed to be an HDMI switch as well so something i think its not normal......

stengol

Surely the whole purpose of an AV receiver is to do the switching.
Presumably you have a sky box, PVR or similar that will tune into TV channels that you want to watch.
If so why are you switching back to the TV?

Just use the receiver to switch between PVR, Xbox,Sky box, or whatever else it is that you have connected to it.

Unless of course you want to use the smart TV features (shudder)