Join now - be part of our community!

BBC One problems

jra505

BBC One problems

Hello,

For a few weeks now I have an issue where my hxd890 kept adding an additional BBC One channel on Channel 810, and would preferentially try to record from that, even though there was no signal. Any chance this issue is related to the recent EPG issue?

Jra505
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 800 channel range is an over flow.  Basically, quite often you can pick up other signals from other transmission towers.  Where there are multiple channels, the weakest signal will go onto the 800 range of channels.

Nothing to worry about, all quite normal, and nothing to do with the latest problems. 

Cheers.

jra505

You say nothing to worry about, but it is preventing me from recording anything on BBC One using the "series record" feature, because it preferentially tries to record from the incorrect channel which does not have a signal.

I'd say that is a lot to worry about - particularly when you've got a wife who wants Eastenders recorded every time it is on.

EFBenson

Just a thought - what happens if you 'hide' the dodgy channel by selecting 'skip' on digital tuner channel options in 'initial setup' on system menu?
jra505

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that too - it just eventually adds yet another incorrect BBC One channel with another number in the 800s 😞

pewrigh38

there may be an option of adding a filter into the aerial feed to "filter out" the adjacent transmitter signals, or to use a narrow band aerial specifically designed for the freeview channels in your area from your main transmitter. I have seen this problem before due to getting welsh channels on my winter hill reception but sometimes you manage to avoid them after a factory reset and retune. up to date firmware can sometimes help too if its not already up to date
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I thought I'd post this on the open forums for the benefit of others as well.  As I said in the PM, I believe your problem is weather related.

More info at:
http://www.a516digital.com/2013/07/weather-related-freeview-reception.html

I believe what is happening is that your RDR-HXD890 is updating the TV channels overnight and selecting the strongest signal, and moving the weakest signal to the 800 range.  Now overnight, with a high-pressure weather system, a stonger signal could be from another transmitter further away.  In the day time, this is no longer the case.

What you need to do is disable/turn off the Digital Auto Service Update.  (I had to turn it off on my TV a couple of weeks ago too).  Then re-tune it back in, during the daytime

I have had a quick look at the manual for your machine, and cannot pinpoint where this setting should be.  But have a look around (maybe channel settings, or something or other).  

Anyway, I hope that helps and fixes your problem.
Cheers

jra505

Thanks for your replies, and it is a fact that the problem has been worse recently since the weather has been so hot. However, I do not believe my box has an option to turn the digital auto update off - the only "update off" option I can find I think is to do with the firmware.

I did write to Sony about this last week and got this reply:

Thank you for your reply.

In regards to your query, we recommend consulting an aerial technician regarding this matter as it might be your aerial getting the signal from two different transmissions, one of them is incorrect. So, you may need to block the extra incorrect transmission to resolve the issue.

I await your response with keen interest. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely

Ghada

Sony Customer Support

Sony Europe Limited

i.e. no advice to turn off auto updates - which is a pretty daft omission from the firmware if you ask me!

jra505

Suppose I could just turn my box off overnight?

pewrigh38

that is what I do, and have done so fr years , no point being powered overnight , and it does the epg update as soon as it powers back on anyway