Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S370 frame drops on Blu-Ray discs

profile.country.en_GB.title
Ravin_Dave
Visitor

BDP-S370 frame drops on Blu-Ray discs

Hello All,

Just signed up to this forum today. :slight_smile:

I have had a BDP-S370 for just over a month now, and it seems I have an intermittent "bug" with it. When playing back Blu-Ray titles, I intermittently get frame drop outs (blank screen) for about 1-2 seconds at random. This may happen 3 or 4 times during any film title.

Playback of DVD's is completely flawless. Initially, I was advised by a member of the AVForums to set Deep Colour to 10 bit to solve the issue. This did work initially, but since the .695 firmware update, the problem has begun to happen again. None of the Deep Colour settings, including OFF make any difference anymore. I have tried several other HDMI cables, so know this is not the issue. It seems really strange that only Blu-Ray's are affected.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful. Also, is it possible I have a faulty unit ?

Thanks,

Dave. :slight_smile:

7 REPLIES 7
duckson
Visitor

I've got exactly the same issue, brief blank screen, audio is unaffected (via amp), the TV also doesnt come up saying "HDMI 1" or anything like it would if the HDMI cable was unplugged hence i am thinking its a HDCP gremlin and the blank screen is a lack of video from the Bluray player or maybe my amp doing something.

I've had my S370 player since early Oct or so and havent had a problem with it over say 5-8 blurays until around Xmas time when i have been getting these blank screens 1-2 times per bluray (currently happened on Salt and Inception). The bluray player is the only variable in the chain as this has had updates done to it where as my amp or Sony TV havent (well not since August).

Setup is Sony 55EX503 TV, Denon AVR-1610 amp and Sony BDP-S370 linked via HDMI of course.

I am going to try a different HDMI cable between S370 and amp and see if it occurs again. If it does i will try swapping the HDMI from my S370 and plugging in my PS3 so if there is no problem seen then it must be the S370 and i suspect a dodgy firmware update!

I'll report back with my results.

malbank
Visitor

I've had a similar problem with BDP-S570.   I traced the problem back to having another HDMI device connected (a Sony HDD recorder).

Both started showing sync problems with frame dropouts and audio/video sync loss.   I set all devices to HDMI control = OFF and have had no problems since.

Strangely enough I first noticed the problem whilst watching Inception.

duckson
Visitor

Thanks.

I did have my TV's Bravia sync switched off but have only just switched the sync off on my S370 after i watched Inception which was the last Bluray i watched when it blank screened on me so maybe i'll try watching my next Bluray without changing the HDMI cable to see if it was the Bravia sync on the S370 causing the problem.

I dont seem to have any video/audio sync problems though and neither do i lose the audio....

Although different from you (i think) is that i have SkyHD and a PS3 fat connected to the amp as well, does the PS3 fat have Bravia sync even? I dont know off hand.

Davidrichard
Visitor

Try Downloading the Upgrade from the Sony Firmware download site.

UPDATA_M03R695.ZIP ( approximately 37.7 Mb ) I believe this covers varios faults. I had an intermittant loss of sound and it cured the problem. Download to CDrom copy (both files) then play in your player. I hope it sorts out your problem

duckson
Visitor

Hi,

Its run ning the latest firmware as its connected via ethernet and checks everytime i start up.

Bit of an update though and after it did it again 30 mins into a BD i changed the hdmi lead for another and it was ok for the next 1hr 20mins. Fingers crossed that is it but we'll see.

starling1961
New

Mine does flick on and off. The only way I could make it stop was by changing the setting on setup "screen settings"/ "output video format"/"HDMI" to 1080i. It flickers rapidly on"auto" and slowly on"1080p". But it is steady on 1080i. But does this mean I am losing some quality?

Ravin_Dave
Visitor

Anyone have any updates to this ? It seems that the 370 for some reason is incapable of outputting 1080p reliably for Blu-Rays at least for some users. Does anyone at Sony have any comments ?

Message was edited by: Ravin_Dave

Message was edited by: Ravin_Dave