Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S550 will not play certain Blu Ray discs

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

BDP-S550 will not play certain Blu Ray discs

I know it's an older player now, but I am sure Sony will want to support it's devices properly....

I have a BDP-S550 running the 024 firmware, which is the latest available.   It will not play the Bluray of "The Hundred-Foot Journey".

The appears to be a disc that loads a Java app to play, and while similar other discs play fine, this one will not.   The disc is OK as it will play in a friends player.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Can you let me know if you have previously played this disc in your player?

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Hi   No this disc is new and has not played previously in my BDP-S550.  It does however play fine on a friends BDP-S7200.

So far other discs play well in the 550.   Since there hasn't been new firmware for that player for  while now and other players have had updates due to disc compatibility issues, I suspect that is the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi again,

Please take a look at the following troubleshoot page here and follow the steps.

Let me know if this helps?

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Thanks I have followed the steps now in the article, and get the same result - the disk initially loads, plays a logo and then I get a blank screen and nothing moves on.  

In the BDP-S7200 the disc plays correctly.  Immediately following the logoint he player where it will play thee is the animated symbol indicatign a Java app might be loading, that doesn't work on the BDP-S550

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Any update from Sony please?

profile.country.GB.title
ccarmock

Anything?