Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S7200 outputting 4k????

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

BDP-S7200 outputting 4k????

Hi there

I don't know if anyone can help but I have the above mentioned Blu ray player connected to my KD-49X8309C television via an HT-CT380 sound bar.

I have set the output on my player to "Auto 2" which, according to the instruction manual (and the on screen prompt), should mean I am outputting everything at 4k.

When I play a Blu ray disc, and press the info button on my player, it is indicating 4k in the top left hand corner of the screen, (which it wasn't doing when I had the player just set to "Auto"), but I am not noticing any difference at all with regards picture quality on the television as to how it was when indicating 1080p.

Are they any other adjustments that I should be making please?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers you can give me.

Rob

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Now I am confused! That screenshot of Spiderman is exactly the same as the one being offered by Amazon!

Also I notice when zooming in on your screenshot it also states 1080p :thinking:

Here's Amazon's, I see no difference!

The Amazing Spider-Man [Blu-ray.jpg

The Amazing Spider-Man-Back [Blu-ray.jpg

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

MK_Slinky wrote:

So in summary 4K is soley a resolution thing. 

Yes and no :wink:

4K is purely resolution, but.... And heres the kicker, when true content comes out, it will not JUST be about resolution.  A wider colour gamut in terms of HDR and next gen audio "immersive".  This will be all packaged under 4K.  

See:

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/10/sony-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-2016/

"Sony Pictures' releases will also support high dynamic range (HDR) and "next-gen immersive audio formats" to further enhance the experience."

And thats the next gen selling point.  To be frank - im excited about it all!  4K the way it should have been right from the go.

Next, YouTube/Netflux content.  Yes its in 4K resolution, and yes they have 'some' hdr content coming out, but.... It is compressed to hell (well quite a lot)  with limited bitrate to work on many on home broadband/fibre connections - 15Mbps

Anonymous
Not applicable

In regards to screenshots you posted, you mentioned your confused?  Can you tell me what your confused about and ill try to unconfuse you (if thats a word)

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Confused is an understatement!

If that box shot of the Spiderman movie is Sony's example of the newer super-dooper 4K movie then Sony have dropped a massive boob!! That image clearly shows that movie as being 1080p also, not the super-dooper high resolution it's supposed to be.

Now even Sony is confused!

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

As we discussed off forums, Mastered in 4K is still a 1080p bluray disc.  IfSony claimed otherwise, it would be false, hence the 1080p stated.  

Its NOT 4K!

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

OK, so Mastered in 4K basically means that it's not true 4K but it's the next best thing as it can be upscaled to look like 4K?

So it's sort of 'pretend 4K' or in other words as you put it.., "it's just marketing hype" to fool those of us who lack a proper understanding.

Yes I can see plenty of people being fooled by that one.

I hate 4K already, it gave me a headache!!

EDIT:

So we have True HD on Blu-ray discs so maybe it will follow that when Sony releases a genuine 4K movie it will state something similar, i.e. 'True 4K' ?? That would make more sense and avoid any confusion.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now you got it :thumbsup:

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Praise the lord!!!!!!!!!!!!

What no kudos? Send it to me in the post if you like along with that Christmas card you forgot to send me!!

Just kiding :laughing:

BTW, I was going to send you some money in card but I'd already sealed the envelope.

profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

After reading a couple of reviews of my BDP-S7200 player, I have decided to let it do the upscaling (not sure whether the Auto2 setting on the player would "overide" the upscaling that the panel does though?)

I quote....

"The most compelling reason to invest in the BDP-S7200 is its AV performance. It does a terrific job maximizing detail and burnishing bits - and if you plan to use it with a 4K screen then there's even more to be excited about. The upscaler in this deck actually outperforms what we've seen built into Sony's 4K UHD screens – and that's saying something! It's also built for speed, loading BDs faster than an Amazon delivery truck".

Any thoughts Quinnicus?

I watched "Ghost Protocol" yesterday and the opening scenes were absolutely breathtaking. 

oriana62
Explorer

Get 'cannot play this disc' message for latest release  4k discs eg; San Andeas,Kingsman ????