Join now - be part of our community!

BDP-S7200's serious problem with 3D

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

BDP-S7200's serious problem with 3D

Weird problem with my BDP-S7200: after having played James Cameron's "Avatar" 3D blu-ray (first 3D BD ever played), during the normal use with standard (not 3D) BD, but also with DVD, CD etc., the device randomly switches the TV's resolution to 2880x1080 60Hz and back to 1920x1080 24Hz, or better it tries to do the former, because the TV is just Full HD (1920x1080) and doesn't support 2880x1080.

Later I tried several other 3D blu-ray discs and they don't even play: the TV (a Sony KDL-50W808C) shows a black screen with "1080p 3D" printed on the upper left corner, then the writing disappears and a new one appears: "2880x2205 24Hz". Then total black, "1080p 3D", total black, "2880x2205 24Hz", and so on, indefinitely (the movie never starts).

Any idea about how to get rid of this situation?

By the way, I disabled 4K support in the BD player.

P.S. How do I perform a hard reset or something (just resetting the unit via its menu doesn't help)?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

STOP PRESS!

I thought I had discovered the culprit (AVR's HDMI1 port), instead those problems began again after a couple of hours on port HDMI5 too. It was like HDMI ports were dying on me. A nightmare!

BUT... after quite a long series of tries, I finally tracked down the source of all these problems, which in fact is from BDP-S7200's side: just setting HDMI Deep Colour Output to OFF (originally it was set to Auto) made all problems disappear, on all HDMI ports. At least for now! Let's hope this is the Final Solution — I'll keep you informed 🙂

IMG_2954.jpg

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

Since the BDP-S7200's SBM (Super Bit Map) option works best when you have Deep Colour active (at least this is what I remember to have read somewhere), I tried some further configurations (actually, all possible configurations). One works and seems particularly interesting: setting YCbCr to 4:2:2 allowed setting HDMI Deep Colour Output to Auto with no problems (regardless of CEC settings). Either 3D or 2D blu-ray discs play regularly.

P.S. A similar problem was fixed this way (these problems are more frequent than I thought):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/1444599-resolving-black-flickering-screen-new-blur...

IMG_2970.jpg

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Oh boy, that is one really weird problem you have there.  I guess we have to start with the usual troubleshooting steps first.  Please dont be offended, but are the 3D blurays you are playing - are the legit discs?

1. Change the HDMI cable that connects the S7200 to the TV - at least for a test.
  2. Ensure that both the TV and bluray player has the latest firmware updates installed
  3. Factory reset thd TV
  4. Factory reset the bluray player (i know you have done it before) i dont know off a hard reset, but should be the same via the menus anyhow.
  5. Test

Lets take it from their anyhow

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

Thanks for the reply.

All the blu-ray discs I tried to play are regularly bought — more precisely, I bought a carefully chosen selection replacing the same standard 2D titles I already have just to enjoy 3D plays (namely: Avatar, Titanic, Gravity, Jupiter Ascending, Hugo Cabret, Guardians Of The Galaxy), and I already had a handful of them (Dredd, Planes, Oceans, IMAX Hubble).

1) Yesterday I ordered new cables on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Standard/dp/B014I8SSD0), today they should be here to test. By the way, the BDP-S7200's HDMI cable feeds a Yamaha RX-V777 AV receiver, and from this to the TV (via HDMI). The cables used until today are these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Supports-Ethernet-Return/dp/B00NH12LCY

2) Both devices sport the latest firmware.

3) OK, that I didn't try: after I try the new cables, I'll reset the TV too, although it'll be a PITA (Android TV!).

4) I've reset the BD player from the menu (I even tried a downgrade — and consequent upgrade — of the firmware) but it's likely there is a most radical way to reset it.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just a doubt: which resolution for the TV you set on the BD: if I remember well you can choose auto or set a fixed one: if you have a fullhd and set the output to fullhd only, it should not even try to switch to 4k.....

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

I tried both "Auto" and "1080p", but the problem was persisting, so eventually I left "Auto".

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

I add two pics showing the aforementioned writings on the screen.

BDP-7200_1080p3D.png

BDP-7200_2880x2205.png

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

I add a video too — sorry for the quality, anyway is just to show the timings of what appears on the screen.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

very strange... seems faulty...

may you try switchin off the 3d autodetection on tv and start it manually via action menu? keep aldo the output fixed to 1080p on the bdp. may you also doublecheck the other setting you made regarding the tv information on the bdp?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for posting additional information.  Again, back down to troubleshooting - bring it all down to the simplest element.

Can you unplug everything from the TV - this includes all devices and av receiver etc.  Plug only the BDP-S7200 directly to the tv.  Even unplug the aerial cable.  Test.

If this still fails, then its either the bluray, tv or HDMI (which you are set to replace anyhow).

If it works, connect aerial cable and test.  Then slowly connect each device one at a time, testing at each stage.  Lastly, connect bluray player to the av reciever and test.

Doing it this way, should determine where the conflict or issue lies.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

Thanks for your interest. I replaced the HDMI cables (no effects whatsoever) and I'm still in the process of trying to understand what's going wrong (I did more or less what suggested by Quinnicus, by the way — I'm old enough to have vivid memories of SCSI voodoo, and HDMI chains remind me SCSI chains sometimes).

It's likely it's some issue with the AV receiver though, because when I connected the BD player directly to the TV, 3D playing worked flawlessly. The thing is, it worked flawlessly also when later I tried connecting again the BD player to the AV receiver (and the AV receiver to the TV)... but just for a couple of hours — then those problems arose again.

Since my try with the direct connection to the TV lasted for less than a hour, I am still not sure if it actually works (the connection through the AV receiver didn't show any problem for about two hours).

I'll keep you informed.

P.S. This is a scheme showing the connections of my AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V777):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d632wyah6y104jd/ConnessioniRX-V777.pdf