Join now - be part of our community!

BDV E370

profile.country.GB.title
andy2019
Explorer

BDV E370

Hi does anyone know if there is an adapter that will convert the wired speakers for my BDV-E370 home cinema system to wireless 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@andy2019 

In case you have lost or mislaid the paper manual for your BDV-370, here it is electronically:-

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4178/41782471M.pdf#page1

This device supports S-AIR as a way of using wireless speakers, but you will need some additional kit (S-AIR adapter, and possibly S-AIR capable replacement/additional speakers, possibly only for the rears) which may be hard to source these days,

Have a good read of the relevant sections of the manual to see what you might need to hunt down.

You might, though, also want to consider if you want to spend the time and money needed to make this 2010 system wireless, using the very iffy S-AIR technology, when you could replace it with something more modern.

Or even, if you have a penchant for old kit, something like the Sony system I had back then, which was complete with the S-AIR transmitter and S-AIR rears out of the box. Whose model number escapes me alas, but my escapades with it are what taught me that S-AIR pairing is essential, even if you have no conflicting equipment, and the even then, S-AIR is/was a bit iffy.

Or coming forward 4-8 years from your BDV-370, you might want to consider the BDV-4100. WiFi, ARC, wireless rears but with reliable Bluetooth instead of iffy S-AiR, all sorts of other modernisations, and there are several on eBay at around £125, of which this is but one example:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126225843098?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268...

Food for thought….

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
andy2019
Explorer

Thank you very much, I’ll take a look.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

What is S-AIR™ wireless technology?
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00007761
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Marino.Manolo @andy2019 

Well, there’s a trip down memory lane…..

And @Marino.Manolo your link leads to a rundown on the various S-AIR devices there have been:-

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00007375

So the key item here for the BDV E370 is the WAHT-SA1, which is in effect a WAHT-SA10 with an EZW-T100R transmitter. The transmitter is needed because while the main unit of the BDV E370 is S-AIR ready, it can’t transmit as is, so the EZW-T100R is needed to do that.

While the BDV E500W main body, on the other hand, has the S-AIR transmitter built in, so only needs the WAHT-SA1. (Which kit includes an  EZW-RT10, so I’m not sure why the E500W would be said to come with a second one, but never mind).

So I think I must have had one of the DAV-HDX devices, either the 279 or the 589, definitely DVD not BluRay, came with the wireless rears, only one EZW-RT10 though, so I’m fairly sure Sony are listing that item even though, strictly, it’s part of both WAHTs.

I do remember the TA-SA100WR rear amp though, and trying to keep the S-AIR working to it. Sony must have despaired at the relative failure of S-AIR, bandwidth of four CDs, and brought down by the 2.4GHz free-for-all. (Plus the transmitter’s inability to work if an HDMI lead came anywhere near it, leading owners to wrap such cables in tinfoil).

As for getting a WAHT-SA1 these days, eBay draws a blank. Quite a few SA-10s, but when you get to the individual cards, EZW-RT10s are readily available for under £20, but EZW-T100s are around £125-£150, so quite rare beasts.

And here, we are talking about the sort of money that would get you the whole more recent (relatively) BDV-4100 setup that I describe above.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Wow, I’ve just found a hole in Wikipedia. Not a single mention of S-AIR that I can find.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Conspiracy! 😏