Join now - be part of our community!

Blu Ray player BDV-E870 stuck on 'Welcome' & standby

profile.country.GB.title
Randall68
Explorer

Blu Ray player BDV-E870 stuck on 'Welcome' & standby

I've had the above blu ray player since 2011 and have had no problems whatsoever, however, yesterday it started freezing when powering up. It either stays on the 'welcome' message then powers down or continually says 'standby'. During these states the remote or console buttons are useless. Occasionally the drawer can be opened but it's pointless putting a disc in. Also none of the menus can be accessed.

Is this fixable/repairable or is it time to wave bye bye?

Grateful in advance for any tips/help.

Kieran.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi there,

Welcome to the community.

We will check this and get back to you as soon as we can.

Until then, maybe another member can offer you some tips.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
Randall68
Explorer

Many thanks - and fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi Randall68,

You can check with the Sony service centres to find out if they can still repair it. Use this link to find the nearest one to yourself.

All the best,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
Randall68
Explorer

Hi. 

Obviously yes. Thanks for your response but I’m already a few steps ahead of you as I have contacted my nearest, however they can’t tell me whether it’s repairable until I bring it in and they have a look at it.

I posted on here to see if it’s a common problem and to find out definitively if it can or can’t be repaired before paying £30 - which they’ve quoted just to look at it - to be told that it can’t. 

Was hoping for more concrete responses on here before taking that step to be honest....

Kind regards,

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hello Again,

Only the engineers can tell if it's repairable or not based on their initial assessment and parts availability.

Regards,

Tenneen9000

profile.country.GB.title
Randall68
Explorer

Well, the crap news is my unit is unrepairable as one of the circuit boards needs replacing - and guess what? Sony don’t make these particular ones any more....

I’m also left with 6 speakers of a Surround Sound System that’s practically redundant as I don’t think it’s compatible with other Sony players....

Cheers Sony!

profile.country.GB.title
Randall68
Explorer

So..... any takers or ideas for where/how to get rid of these 6 perfectly working surround sound speakers? 

profile.country.GB.title
Randall68
Explorer

Does anyone know if the speakers that come with the BDV-E870 system are compatible with any other Sony units?