Join now - be part of our community!

BluRay Players - Frame Interpolation...MotionFlow?

Saefinn
New

BluRay Players - Frame Interpolation...MotionFlow?

Hey folks, 

I am in the market for a new BluRay player and one of the features I am most interested in is Frame Interpolation, which I think Sony markets as MotionFlow. I know some people prefer to watch movies in 24fps and think anything faster is madness! But I find the smoother frame rates pleasing and I want a set up where I can have this. 

Now, I know TV's tend to use this technology and there are some media players on PC's that allow me to do this, except there are none that I am aware of that supports BluRay and it would also be nice to see when streaming services like Netflix too (which frame interpolation on PC won't work with, because it's specific media players that can do it).

But I am not in the market for a TV, in fact, I am using a 34 inch 2k monitor and as it is only 3 months old, I am not about to splash out a load of money on TV as well. :slight_smile: The monitor I use for working, gaming and media and it's perfect for what I need, hence I went for it . 

Anyway, does anybody know if any Sony BluRay players have this technology in it? I am very interested by this model: 

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/bdp-s6500

If that model has it (but hasn't advertised it) then I will be sold. 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Pumpkin_Duke

Hi,

According to the instruction manual I think the BDP-S6500 has everything you need:

[24p Output]
Outputs 24p video signals only when you connect a 1080/24p-compatible TV via an HDMI connection and the [Output Video Resolution] is set to [Auto] or [1080p].
[BD-ROM 24p Output]
[Auto]: Outputs 1920 × 1080p/24 Hz video signals only when connecting a 1080/24p-compatible TV using the HDMI OUT jack.
[On]: Turns on the function.
[Off]: Select this when your TV is not compatible with 1080/24p video signals.
[DVD-ROM 24p Output]
[Auto]: Outputs 1920 × 1080p/24 Hz video signals only when connecting a 1080/24p-compatible TV using the HDMI OUT jack.
[Data content 24p Output]
This function is available for playback contents stored in USB memory or data disc.
[Network content 24p Output]
This function is available for playback contents from other network, such as Home Network, Screen mirroring, etc.

Cheers

PD

Saefinn
New

Thanks for your help. 

However, it would be at 60hz that I would interested in.

Frame interpolation basically increases the frame frate of some by insert frames by comparing 2 frames with each other and predicting what the image will look like. So in effect you could have a 24fps movie doing 60fps, it's what some TV's can do, Sony's version I believe is called MotionFlow, there's also LG's Trumotion and couple of others out there. I find the effect quite desireable, but at the moment, my only solution is PC software, which is fine for video files and even works with YouTube videos, but because it's going through a media player it doesn't work with services like Netflix and also it doesn't seem to like BluRays. Cyberlink is one PC software that does it (they call it TrueTheatre Motion) and this will work for DVD's and video files but not BluRays. 

So, I am pretty much in the market for a BluRay player that does this, if it's only showing 24hz options, then I get the feeling it might not be the model I'm after. Though the 4k upscaling is mighty appealing, so if I cannot find a BluRay player that does frame interpolation, then I am sure I would go for a BluRay 4k upscaler. 

profile.country.GB.title
wraith_9
Explorer

Hi there,

Did you get this sorted yet? As a brief answer to your question, no, Sony BluRay players do not offer their MotionFlow interpolation. This is a feature built into their TVs only, and I'm pretty sure that is the same for other manufacturers as well.

Be aware though that frames per second and refresh rate (hz) are not inextricably linked, and producing 24p at 60p (what you suggested in your post) would require some very clever software techniques. What you're after is the interpolation, which won't increase your framerate but rather guess and produce frames in between (which can sometimes have negative effects, although Sony have one of the better systems in my opinion). I'm afraid I am in the camp that turns this sort of thing off for purity, but each to their own!

Unfortunately I can only advise you to be on the look out for these features next time you buy a TV or other screen. In the meantime, a Sony BluRay player will still provide smooth 24p playback.

Regards,

Duncan