Join now - be part of our community!

Brand new STR-DN1080 - won't perform speaker calibration?

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

Brand new STR-DN1080 - won't perform speaker calibration?

I've just purchased a new STR-DN1080 and connected it all into my home cinema setup, replacing my existing AV amp.

It seems to be faulty - in the 'Easy Setup' menu, the speaker auto-calibration can't be selected, and instead says 'Not in use'.
It's also greyed-out in the 'Speaker Setup' menu.

I don't have the unit in Bluetooth 'transmitter' mode, and I don't have any headphones plugged in.
It's like the STR-DN1080 just refuses to believe I have any speakers connected.

If I go into Options - Soundfield from one of the input sources, it only shows Headphone (2Ch) and won't let me select anything else.

If I *do* plug any headphones in, I don't get any sound coming out of them either.

I've already logged a ticket with Sony Support, but has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I have of course tried turning it off and back on again :slight_smile:

HDMI pass through seems to work fine, and the Network setup completed fine. It just won't acknowledge my speakers exist!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
feline1

Oh and also - if I press the 'speakers' button on the front panel, to select which speaker configuration I have, nothing happens. I tried a software upate and the unit reports the latest software is installed. I tried a Factory Reset by holding the power button for 5 seconds, and it successfully did the 'CLEARING' thing - didn't solve the problem.
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @feline1,

We would like to know if you were able to resolve your issue already or if you still require advice.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

Nope - no useful suggestions on this forum or from Sony Support - the unit just had to be replaced under warranty. I'm hoping the new one works!!
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @feline1,

Sorry to hear about that. I think that was most probably the best course of action. Performing Auto Calibration should basically work out of the box. Specially after restoring the device to factory default settings.

Keep us posted when you receive your replacement unit.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
feline1

Well the replacement unit worked fine. The original one that the Sony Store shipped me was obviously faulty. Rather tiresome to be told repeatedly that that was very unlikely and I should try switching it off and back on again instead.
profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi feline1,

Thanks for updating us with the news. I’m glad to hear that it all worked out well at the end.

Cheers,
Dutchice