Join now - be part of our community!

Can't see iplayer on BDP-S370

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mudkipper
Visitor

Can't see iplayer on BDP-S370

I have a BDP-S370 Blu-ray player and have updated the firmware to M03.R.694 but no sign of the BBC iPlayer. The unit was purchased from Pixmania selling into the UK market but it is a French unit. Could this be the problem? I would have thought that iplayer restrictions were based on ip address and as far as I can see the M03.R.694 firmware downloads from the UK and French service sites are identical.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what can be done?

Tags (2)
81 REPLIES 81
Catmambo
Contributor

Country of manufacturer really isn't the critical factor.

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

Hi

are saying there are two solutions, namely

(a) contact your retailer directly and  get it exchanged either via them or  another retailer for a UK spec  model.

(b) Any Sony centre should be able to  update your device and confirm iPlayer is working before you leave the  store.

If you are confirming this, I would elect for option (b). I n which case is there a Sony reference I should quate when booking the player in?

thanks

Bob

Catmambo
Contributor

Just to be clear, if you purchase a replacement from a Sony Centre, they should be able to update the player for you instore and check it. They all have Internet connections instore.

However I would first contact the call centre and make sure you have done all necessary troubleshooting before hand. They may well recommend taking the player to your local Sony Service Agent to get them to look at it first.

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

Hi

I, along with others,  purchased my player from play.com.

Do you consider them the be a Sony Centre?

Can you advise the number for the call centre?

thanks

Bob

byonder25
Visitor

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I am in exactly the same situation. I bought the player from Amazon on Wednesday and BBC iPlayer is nowhere to be seen. I can see the 2 German widgets (Tagesschau and Deutsche Welle) at the bottom of the list instead. I tried all the steps that were suggested, including the firmware update and the list update, but they did not fix the problem.

The interesting thing about my player is that it has a UK plug and on the box it shows the BBC iPlayer logo. So, I suspect that Sony may have accidentally dispatched a batch of players to the UK with the wrong software. I contacted the Sony Helpdesk but so far I have not received an answer. I went to my local Sony Centre and they suggested that I contact Amazon, which I will do tomorrow.

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

Hi

just confirming my player has has a UK plug and on the box it shows the BBC iPlayer logo.

Bob

danwhieldon
Visitor

Hi guys,

I'm in the same boat.  Bought the BDP-370 from Amazon.  Arrived today.  Everything great, but.....no I player.  Ip address is Uk based (Manchester)   comes with English plug, English instructions and with BBC I player logo on side.  Not really sure what to do.  Any updates on Amazon's response?   If there's a way of solving it without the hassle of returning it, it would be great.   Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

Multiple suppliers - UK Plugs - no iPlayer.

What is Sony's postion on this? Are we going to get a new version of the formware?

An update from Sony would be appropriate.

Catmambo
Contributor

If the device was sold as featuring BBC iPlayer and its not on there, then the simplest course of action is  to get in touch with your retailer directly and request a replacement or refund.

Thanks

pauparma
New

This is very disappointing. I too took delivery from Amazon on 23rd Nov and have no iPlayer installed, despite UK plug, UK box and iPlayer stamped on it.  Did the firware upgrade, to no avail.  If a Sony Centre can upgrade the device via the internet, why can't a firmware update just be released on the internet with iPlayer included, so that we can install ourselves?

I now have to wait 3 - 4 days while Amazon work out what the issues is, as they were not initailly able to identify the difference between what they have sold me and a supposed "UK Model".  I don't want to end up with another dodgy player form the same batch if I request a replacement from them.

My brother works at Sony HQ so have asked him if he has any contacts to shed light on this issue given poor response from Sony here...