Join now - be part of our community!

Can't see iplayer on BDP-S370

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mudkipper
Visitor

Can't see iplayer on BDP-S370

I have a BDP-S370 Blu-ray player and have updated the firmware to M03.R.694 but no sign of the BBC iPlayer. The unit was purchased from Pixmania selling into the UK market but it is a French unit. Could this be the problem? I would have thought that iplayer restrictions were based on ip address and as far as I can see the M03.R.694 firmware downloads from the UK and French service sites are identical.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what can be done?

Tags (2)
81 REPLIES 81
mshelley
New

That is bad news if it is true. I thought that from what I had read there were some people who had "European Units" (e.g. from Pixmania) and the problem had been fixed.

If this is true then I will have to ask my brother who bought the player in Cyprus to try and take it back (next time he is over or I will have to ship it to him at my expense) for a refund. He already has one - that`s why he bought me one becasue he liked it a lot so it`s no use to him.

Not very impressed with the "open EU market" from Sony`s perspective right now 😞

What a pain in the neck. Surely the hardware is the same? Can`t I take it to a UK Sony Service Centre to have it "fixed"?

mshelley
New

Just to clarify... the player I have is the BDP-S470 - but I was posting here becasue it appeared to be the same problem.

The box for my player does NOT have iPlayer logo on it. It is the European variant but I just expect that there must be a way for a service centre to change it or enable iPlayer somehow - the hardware really has to be the same, doesn`t it?

Catmambo
Contributor

I don't think there is a procedure in place to change the underlying software build I'm afraid.

mshelley
New

Ed, I appreciate you are trying to help but you are a little vague by saying "you think...". From my point of view, if there IS a way then it is going to save me a HUGE amount of hassle. I need to be SURE there is no other option before trying to get a refund.

Are you able to find out for sure? Please?

Thanks.

afw-bluray
Visitor

Now working - thanks to Eduzzel and Sony for sorting out

Catmambo
Contributor

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough - there is unfortunately no way to get the software updated on European units to enable UK specific services.

Thanks

daearle73
Visitor

iPlayer just appeared 1 week after pluging the device in - I have changed NOTHING.

Amazon sent a replacement (which is now not needed) and Sony offered a replacement as well - which is nice, but I would have preferred the issue (whatever it was) to have been sorted out before shipping.

profile.country.GB.title
bobsony
Explorer

Just to say thay I got my repacement player from play.com yesterday - it was held up with the weather.

Eveything works fine.

Full marks to play.com - they refunded my full postage costs of returning the original one.

jyates
Visitor

Got home tonight and my wife said iplayer isn't working. Getting the message "Connection status cannot be confirmed. Configuration failed while connecting." Wired connection and internet settings all show fine and network connection diagnostics are fine.

I've tried a full reset of all settings and initialising personal information.  All this has done is to remove all the icons like iplayer and leave "Internet Video - select to refresh internet content" under the music, video etc on the cross bar! This obviously gives the same message about configuration failed...

I also deregistered/unlinked the device on sony.internet.tv but of course now can't re-register as I can't access the option in the menu which would give me the registration code! The box clearly sees the internet and reports under network that it is already updated.

It is 2 weeks old and from Marks annd Spencers so I doubt it is an import - had all the iPlayer logos etc on the box, UK plug and all that.

Any suggestions other than leave it in standby for 24 hrs and see what happens?

wooknoz
Visitor

Dear Catmambo,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanations and consideration.

I have moved in the UK with my BDP-S570/BM EC1

I suffer the same issue (no BBC iPlayer): any chance I can benefit from that feature?

In all product litterature I read before pruchasing that device, nothing was mentioned that this feature was disabled for certain revisions of the product, or enabled for some other.

Since anyway such revision is hardly mentioned on stores, it's a quite hard to figure that out later.

Thanks for you assistance and suggestions.

Hopefully there's a method for me to enjoy iPlayer now I live here.

Thanks.