Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting blu-ray (HDMI) via coaxial to AV receiver (non-HDMI)

profile.country.en_GB.title
christian1707
Visitor

Connecting blu-ray (HDMI) via coaxial to AV receiver (non-HDMI)

Hi,

I have a AV receiver (STR-K840p) which has all the usual input connections, including digital optical and digital coaxial inputs. I've just purchased a blu-ray Internet player (DBP-S185) and want to hook it up to the AV receiver.

So, i've got a HDMI cable coming out the DBP-S185 going into my Bravia TV - video is amazing.

I want to hook up the sound from the output on the BDP-S185 to go into my AV receiver via digital coaxial. This doesn't appear to be working.

I have video but no sound! :slight_frown:

I've tested to make sure the blu-ray is working, by plugging in red and white phonos from the blu-ray to the AV and that works fine, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the HDMI cable taking over the sound, but it just won't play!

Can anyone advise me what i need to do? Really frustrating me, i don't want to plug red and white phonos in to get it working!

Is it not possible do split the sound through digital coaxial and leave video to HDMI?

Just to state the obvious, my AV receiver isn't HDMI, so i can't simply plug a HDMI cable into the reciever.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Bravia55HX

Hi,

lets get you up and running, go to the menu on your player go to set up, then audio settings and set Dolby Digital Optical/Coaxial on, set Dolby Digital to Dolby Digital and DTS to DTS and dont forget to select the right input on the Amp also turn volume on tv down to zero (if your running the Amp) that should do it.

christian1707
Visitor

that still doesn't work 😞

Its the same settings as I had.

I wonder if I should record the menus on video so you can spot what needs changing?

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

you can do if you like but it seems you covered the basics, you could try an optical cable, they are only a couple of pounds to buy if you dont have one,  just for the process of elimination, more so to see if that works!, just double check everything and try once more, even i have made a simple mistake with the speaker selector set on B instead of A, check also you are using the correct digital coaxial cable, its got to be something silly.

fitterdog
Visitor

Hi, I to have bought the same blu ray player and am experiencing the same problem no sound via the digital out coaxial depite all the checks from other equipment and cables. Did you get to the bottom of this problem.....Can you help.

Bravia55HX

Hi all,

what exactly are you using for a Digital Coaxial cable? (just to clarify).

christian1707
Visitor

I actually got this working, i thought i had replied, but my Internet has been terrible lately!

Anyway, i noticed on the manual it for the AMP, it stated, when an optical cable is detected, OPT will appear on display of the LCD panel, and COAX for coaxial. My optical was always OK, but my coaxial wasn't.

Instead of reading the manual blindly, and using the remote, i took a look at the front panel for buttons, and within the LCD panel there is a button that says INPUT. I'm not quite sure what it means, as i'd already had selected LD/DVD for the coaxial port. However, once i pressed INPUT, the COAX displayed!!!

I don't understand why i needed to press 2 buttons, when i was literally switching between AV ports anyway.

Glad this is fixed! Thanks so much for your help!

fitterdog
Visitor

Hi, I'm using a digital coaxial cable with an optical conversion to the optical in on my surround sound system. This because there's no coaxial connection on my system, again all cables and conversion box are working.