Join now - be part of our community!

DAV-S400 Power Supply Smoke, C916 Value please

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
IdRatherBeSkiing
New

DAV-S400 Power Supply Smoke, C916 Value please

Hi, My DAV-S400 / HCD-S400, power supply after 8 years has failed. The smell of smoke in the living room was quite bad. Good job the kids had stopped watching Cinderella and had come into the garden. I've tracked the burnt out part to C916 on the PSU. I'd like to replace this capacitor but its quite a specific Capacitance/voltage value and type and there is not enough left to read the numbers off.

If anybody has a PSU to look at, its next to the biggest electrolytic and the large heatsink mounted IC, it would be greatly apreciated.

I've managed to find  service manuals on the web, but the exact part for the exact model is not listed. (I'd be fine if it was a -S500/S800 etc).

*** Caution *** Only take a look if you know what your doing, this is a hot side switch and that large capacitor could be charged up to >250VDC...

Sony if your scanning this maybe you could dig out the Power supply drawing for the HCD-S400 power supply and take note of the smoke comment for future reference?

I'd take a look at new box, but not enough options on BluRay + 5.1 Sound + DLNA (with all features working) at a fair price yet.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
IdRatherBeSkiing
New

Don't forget there's enough stored volts about to kill !!!!

Anyway Thanks,

That's what I thought it was but had to be sure

I got this part

http://uk.farnell.com/vishay-bc-components/f152k535rp63k7r/capacitor-1-5nf-2000v/dp/1141804

Replaced the glass fuse with a 3.15A Quick Blow (I think, look at the fuse case)

Switched it on - Nothing!!!

All looked good re Switch and Fuse, Noticed that the Red light on the Main SW did not appear to work.

Left it a few days went back to it - Noticed I forgotten to plug one of the other boards back in :smileyblush:

All worked. Ran it for a few days in the garage. All seems ok. Have promoted it back to the living room.:smileyhappy:

Words of caution.

I notice that the outside / top of the unit gets quite warm. It always did and I cannot tell if its hotter than before.

It could be the the cause or a new symptom. If the Power Supply components are not as matched as well as they were before then it'll not run as efficiently and hence get hotter.

Don't forget there's enough stored volts about to kill !!!!

IdRatherBeSkiing
New

Hi,

Your fault sounds different to the original fault I had. But your symptom is similar to me having forgotten to plug a lead In. Maybe worth checking all the leads had been seated corretly. getting Hot and cold over time may have resulted in one coming loose. You my get lucky.