Join now - be part of our community!

Display Not Working STR-DH820

profile.country.GB.title
whitestu
Explorer

Display Not Working STR-DH820

My DH820 AV receiver works perfectly except the display on the front of the unit is comletely blank. It worked perfectly until last week. I'd be really surprised if it has failed as the thing still works. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Stu

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Stuart,

Welcome to the community.

The guide for this model is here. Perhaps you could try going through some of the display panel settings on pg. 80 to see if anything changes. Let us know how you get along.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
whitestu
Explorer

Thanks Ed. I've been through the manual and tried everything I can find to no avail. There is literally nothing on the display at all, in fact no lights of any kind on the unit yet it works fine. I can change settings using the GUI mode on the TV, and via the buttons on the remote, but the panel display on the front is blank. I have tried a reset [holing the power button down for 5 secs when the unit is switched off]. I'm coming to the conclusion that it must have broken.

Stu

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

@whitestuwrote:

Thanks Ed. I've been through the manual and tried everything I can find to no avail. There is literally nothing on the display at all, in fact no lights of any kind on the unit yet it works fine. I can change settings using the GUI mode on the TV, and via the buttons on the remote, but the panel display on the front is blank. I have tried a reset [holing the power button down for 5 secs when the unit is switched off]. I'm coming to the conclusion that it must have broken.

Stu

There was a firmware update recently did you get that??

profile.country.GB.title
whitestu
Explorer

I don't think this model is firmware upgradable. 

Thanks

Stu

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I had a quick look at the service manual and tbh I suspect this will be a genuine fault... a component failure. The display is a VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) which are generally very reliable, however there is an auxilliary circuit that derives and generates the necessary  voltages needed for these type of display. That would be the first area to look at.

There is a 'Display Test' routine that you could try although I suspect it will not do anything.

Capture.PNG 

profile.country.GB.title
whitestu
Explorer

Thanks - I'll give that a go.

Cheers

Stu

Gixxer_Squid
Explorer

I fixed my display problem by taking top case cover off and re-attaching ribbon cables to display circuit board. Everything works perfect now!

Just make sure to unplug amp first and wait a while before touching anything inside. Circuits inside unit can hold power for a while so best to let capacitors leak down power, maybe a few minutes just to be safe.

profile.country.GB.title
whitestu
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion - I had already tried that and it made no difference. Fortunately we discover by accident that if the dog's ball whacks into the top left of the front panel pretty hard where the Sony badge is the display comes back on. It has gone back off a couple of times but a well aimed shot brings it straight back!

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi whitestu, 

It seems that the system might need a physical inspection to fix this. If you're not comfy with the current temporary fix,  you can check with one of the repair centers if they can help: https://locator.sony/en_GB/servicecenters/?zoom=5&latitude=54.29088&longitude=-2.37305

Cheers,

Vanilla_