Join now - be part of our community!

DN860/1060 -how to adapt FM to coax?

SOLVED
Centaurion
Explorer

DN860/1060 -how to adapt FM to coax?

I recently purchased a DN860 receiver, and it has a completely useless FM aerial antenna connection (on a receiver where everything is aimed at high quality audio, whoever came up with this antenna idea should be fired!).

I found an old thread explaining how to make an adapter for a similar case on the DN1040, but the aerial connection I have is slightly different:

STR-DN860-FMAerialConnection.png  STR-DN860-FMAerialConnection-2.jpg

Does anyone know if (how) it's possible to make a similar adapter for this connection?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
james_ss
New

You need a JST-PH 2 pin connector.

I got mine from this Website in the UK: http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_jstph.html

Total cost was about £3.50 as they kindly refunded £2 on the shipping. They supply 5 connectors and 15 crimps.

Connect the centre conductor of the coaxial cable so that it matches the connection on the lead supplied with the amp.

Connect the braided shield to the contact that is missing on the lead supplied with the amp.

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done as the crimps are small and fiddly and not really designed to take the large diameter centre conductor. I ended up snipping one of the back 'wings' on the crimp to enable folding one over the other. You will need extremely fine needle nosed pliers as it's delicate work.

I practiced first on a 4 inch length with a male coax connector on the other end to check proof of concept.

I'm pretty happy with the finished version. I even managed to slip a sliver of the copper foil sheild back around the exposed dialectric and under the twisted copper braid. I then covered that back up with a 5mm long outer jacket that I'd cut open. Finally, I wrapped half a dozen turns of insulating tape around the coaxial cable. Shrink tubing would be better but I don't have a heat gun!

Anyway, I've gone from being able to receive only BBC Radio 1-4 and Classic FM, some with noticeable static to being able to pull in 13 stations with full RDS and zero static from a loft mounted omni-directional aerial.

This is my proof of concept version:

image.jpeg

I hope this helps. It took me hours to track down exactly what spec connector I needed so the more Sony owners that benefit, the better!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Shame this isn't getting more attention,  the bit of wire supplied is pointless and begging for an upgrade,  I'd gladly pay for a proper aerial and seeing as the connector isn't universal you'd think a nice alternative would be a no brainer.

james_ss
New

You need a JST-PH 2 pin connector.

I got mine from this Website in the UK: http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/conn_jstph.html

Total cost was about £3.50 as they kindly refunded £2 on the shipping. They supply 5 connectors and 15 crimps.

Connect the centre conductor of the coaxial cable so that it matches the connection on the lead supplied with the amp.

Connect the braided shield to the contact that is missing on the lead supplied with the amp.

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done as the crimps are small and fiddly and not really designed to take the large diameter centre conductor. I ended up snipping one of the back 'wings' on the crimp to enable folding one over the other. You will need extremely fine needle nosed pliers as it's delicate work.

I practiced first on a 4 inch length with a male coax connector on the other end to check proof of concept.

I'm pretty happy with the finished version. I even managed to slip a sliver of the copper foil sheild back around the exposed dialectric and under the twisted copper braid. I then covered that back up with a 5mm long outer jacket that I'd cut open. Finally, I wrapped half a dozen turns of insulating tape around the coaxial cable. Shrink tubing would be better but I don't have a heat gun!

Anyway, I've gone from being able to receive only BBC Radio 1-4 and Classic FM, some with noticeable static to being able to pull in 13 stations with full RDS and zero static from a loft mounted omni-directional aerial.

This is my proof of concept version:

image.jpeg

I hope this helps. It took me hours to track down exactly what spec connector I needed so the more Sony owners that benefit, the better!

james_ss
New

OK, for some reason the link I provided doesn't seem to work.

So, on the Micron Radio Control Website, select Hardware & Materials > Electrical > JST-PH (2mm) Connectors and Leads

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@james_ss - excellent work!  This will be very handy for others.

PS: The readon your link didnt work is because you had a full stop at the end of it.  I have edited this out on your behalf and the link now works.

Cheers

raymondo1952
Explorer

seen your info on fm ariel connection great idear but you could also use JST-PH2 connector with lead already in place and just connect your coax cable to the correct wires it would save al that messing around tring to get wires into the small connectors.

cheers Ray

profile.country.GB.title
Kellysul.
New

How to convert Sony loop antenna with 3 pin mini plug to a coaxial attenna like a terk powered with coaxial 

ldmbouge
Explorer

Good morning. I just got a DN1080 and I have the same issue (FM antenna it came with is useless). I found the lead '(JST-PH)' you mentioned on DigiKeys (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=CABLE%20ASSY%20JST%20PH%202PIN%204%22). Since this is a brand new receiver, I want to make sure that I'm not messing anything up. Your directions are quite clear to connect to a COAX. My question is: any recommendation on an indoor FM Antenna (spec wise?). I'm assuming that you used a 75 Ohms impedance antenna? Amplified?  [Couldn't find anything in the DN1080 doc on the antenna specs....].

I imagine a plain dipole isn't suitable?  Any pointer is most appreciated. 

Thanks!

---

Laurent

profile.country.GB.title
Brad48
New

james_ss:

This is exactly what I want to do.  My FM signal, while working for certain stations, still leaves something to be desired.  I have a Sony STR-DH770 A/V receiver, and while the FM option is used in limited circumstances, sometimes, putting on the old transistor radio is just simple, and can expose you to new artists depending on the station.  But I wonder if even without static, I am getting the best from the current cheapo antenna.

BT

Cactu5Mac
Explorer

Hi All

I know this is an old thread now but I had this same problem having just purchased a STR-DN1080. The supplied single wire FM antenna is just garbage. When I performed a Google search, this is where it took me for a solution.  So a big thankyou to "james_ss" for posting his original solution. However I ended up with a slightly better one and so I thought I would add my solution here just in case it is of some help to others. 

All you need is:

51CG7BxVLbL._SX425_41FvrPrVwKL._SX425_

Just joint them together (it does not matter which way you join them) and you have the perfect solution with the correct load rating (300 ohms). I did exactly this and it works perfectly. Hope this helps someone. Cheers from Australia.